Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Homemade Stir Plate - Lessons Learned & Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
tomasej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually had a great DIY stirplate that I made from a cigar box and some old computer stuff. The only problem is my stirbars became magnetized because I kept them inside the cigar box for storage. They inevitably "found" one of my extra earth magnets (used to keep the stirbar stuck to the flask when pouring) and became magnets. Now they don't hold to the magnet well and end up spinning right off as soon as I turn it on. I checked the web and can't find a way to "un-magnetize" the stirbars. I guess I can chalk this up as another lessons learned. They are now stuck to my kegerator and actually hold really well.

- Joey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasej View Post
I actually had a great DIY stirplate that I made from a cigar box and some old computer stuff. The only problem is my stirbars became magnetized because I kept them inside the cigar box for storage. They inevitably "found" one of my extra earth magnets (used to keep the stirbar stuck to the flask when pouring) and became magnets. Now they don't hold to the magnet well and end up spinning right off as soon as I turn it on. I checked the web and can't find a way to "un-magnetize" the stirbars. I guess I can chalk this up as another lessons learned. They are now stuck to my kegerator and actually hold really well.
This is odd. All my stirbars are magnets and have always been so. They stick to eachother end-to-end. I thought this was necessary for them to be held by the driving magnet. Your'e saying that yours were not magnets at one time?

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

AFAIK, all stir bars have a magnet embedded inside. They should be stored in pairs stuck together to help preserve their magnetic properties. I have yet to see a stir bar that was not magnetic, but from what I've heard, they can lose or weaken their magnetic properties if subjected to strong shock such as if dropped repeatedly. Thrown stir bars are usually an indication of poorly aligned or spaced drive magnets. Stir bars can be damaged though, so that is a possibility, but I doubt that the problem is due to them suddenly becoming magnetized when before they were not.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

agreed. Mine stuck to each other right when I got them. Ordered 2. Seem to work.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #15
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

My stir bars are all magnets. In a pinch, a piece of plastic coated steel works, but not nearly as well.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
agreed. Mine stuck to each other right when I got them. Ordered 2. Seem to work.
I once bought a pair of stir bars and the package had instructions recommending to store them stuck together. They were packaged that way too. I'm not making this up!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
tomasej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I thought that was my "smoking gun" and did not look anymore into it. If they were always magnetic then I wonder what has gone wrong with my stir plate. The thing worked great before and now all of a sudden it's throwing stir bars. I might try replacing the rheostat next. Thanks again.

- Joey

Quick Reply