Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Homemade Mash Paddle Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #141
robbarwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here you go. This is mine, made from a scrap fender stratocaster fretboard, mahogany handle

finished article

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #142
WRBBB
Recipes 

Wow these are fancy. I have just been using a pine 1x4 for years. Nothing fancy just a plain old 1x4. Now I am thinking I better get out some power tools and dress my paddle up a bit.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #143
zmad2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

All u need to make a nice paddle is a coping saw, drill with some 1" bits and a combination file

Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #144
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts

You guys got me jealous. I'm gonna try to hit up HD tomorrow and make something sick.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #145
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
CoalCracker
Really Nice work....but I would hesitate to put oil on it, an mash temps oil finishs can leach into the beer, and aside from other things, have adverse effects on your beers head.......Leave it Naked and get good head

Also I have to warn on the use of walnut......while is common to see spoons and bowls made from walnut, it is also a very common to see people wickedly allergic to the oils that will leach out of walnut into your beer. I work in wood, and know alot of people that can't even breathe in the dust. I always have to wear a mask even with shop filtration and dust collection.
I actually placed the oil on it before you posted... It's had a while to soak in and is completely dry to the touch. Maybe before I brew, i'll soak it in some warm water and see If I get any leaching.

I'm not too worried about the walnut. It will have very minimal contact in the brewing process. Just a quick stir to break up dough balls and I'm done. I have a feeling that it would take a bit more than a minute or two to really leech any wood oils into the beer.

Actually just did some reading.

Walnut wood and several other woods have small amounts of juglone, but much lower amounts than other plant parts, for example nuts, bark, and roots. The potential for toxicity should be minimal in cutting boards, which are dried. Juglone is not very soluble in water, so I would not expect it to come out of cutting boards and into food very easily. I would think that the concern for toxicity from this source would be minimal, but again, we have no direct research and I am not aware of any specifically on this topic. However, if you are cutting the wood and there is sawdust, then protection from the sawdust is in order.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #146
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
I actually placed the oil on it before you posted... It's had a while to soak in and is completely dry to the touch. Maybe before I brew, i'll soak it in some warm water and see If I get any leaching.

I'm not too worried about the walnut. It will have very minimal contact in the brewing process. Just a quick stir to break up dough balls and I'm done. I have a feeling that it would take a bit more than a minute or two to really leech any wood oils into the beer.

Actually just did some reading.

Walnut wood and several other woods have small amounts of juglone, but much lower amounts than other plant parts, for example nuts, bark, and roots. The potential for toxicity should be minimal in cutting boards, which are dried. Juglone is not very soluble in water, so I would not expect it to come out of cutting boards and into food very easily. I would think that the concern for toxicity from this source would be minimal, but again, we have no direct research and I am not aware of any specifically on this topic. However, if you are cutting the wood and there is sawdust, then protection from the sawdust is in order.
Many of us have used mineral oil with no noticeable effect on head retention. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #147
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 134

It's cool, I was just pointing out some common problems associated with using oil, and walnut which may or may not affect you. Totally not raggin on your work brother....first rate. Awesome!!!

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #148
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
It's cool, I was just pointing out some common problems associated with using oil, and walnut which may or may not affect you. Totally not raggin on your work brother....first rate. Awesome!!!
Definitely didn't take it as that!! Just was throwing some info out there that I found for others to take note in. I appreciate the kind words!! I've been wood working since I'm about 8. My dad owns a custom furniture business so I've always been around it. It's nice having a 3000sq/ft workshop at my disposal!

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #149
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Definitely didn't take it as that!! Just was throwing some info out there that I found for others to take note in. I appreciate the kind words!! I've been wood working since I'm about 8. My dad owns a custom furniture business so I've always been around it. It's nice having a 3000sq/ft workshop at my disposal!
See now I have shop envy!!! I own a fully stocked Pro shop but mine's not as big.....

I'm also third gen wood worker. I wonder if theres a correlation between wood working and brewing beer???

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #150
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
See now I have shop envy!!! I own a fully stocked Pro shop but mine's not as big.....

I'm also third gen wood worker. I wonder if theres a correlation between wood working and brewing beer???
There is something completely wrong with this statement...
(coming from a guy limping along with a jig-saw) haha...

Quick Reply