Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Home made hops harvesting machine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
jashart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Home made hops harvesting machine

I'm trying to come up with a plan on how to build a hops harvesting machine. I've seen some videos online about some homemade machines that will strip the cones off the vines, but I'm still unsure on how exactly to design and build one of these machines.

If anyone willing to share pictures, designs, schematics, or anything it would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here is my hop harvesting machine!

hands.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
balvey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashart View Post
I'm trying to come up with a plan on how to build a hops harvesting machine. I've seen some videos online about some homemade machines that will strip the cones off the vines, but I'm still unsure on how exactly to design and build one of these machines.

If anyone willing to share pictures, designs, schematics, or anything it would be greatly appreciated!

I think it was an episode of Dirty Jobs that featured a commercial hop farm and their process looked to be stripping the vines of all the cones and leaves, then running them up an inclined conveyor made of something similar to screen with air blowing across it so that the leaves stuck to the conveyor and the cones tumbled back down.

I would think that if you just stripped the vines of all the leaves and cones, you could probably use something along the lines of a tray made out of chicken fence wire to separate the two. Of course I couldn't imagine having enough hops at home to require such a device.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply