Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocu View Post
When you drilled through the side, I'm guessing you left the original 16g CO2 cartridge in the black holder to line things up. But how did you get a good seal with the J-B weld to the CO2 cartridge when it was inside the holder? I'm worried that there'll be an air gap or something that I may miss. And does J-B weld adhere well to the cartridge and plastic?
I first drilled a small hole in the plastic, (and I got lucky! Make sure you line up the hole with where you want the nipple to exit when the plastic holder is screwed into the regulator!! I wasn't thinking, and luckily it lined up. If I'd been smart though, it would have come off at a 90° to the tap axis, instead of the funky angle it comes out at).

Then I stuck the cartridge into the plastic holder and marked through the hole with a sharpie. I pulled out the cartridge, used a punch to make a small dent, then drilled a pilot hole through the dent, then drilled out the full diameter hole for the fitting.

I drilled out the same size hole (1/2" I think, but can't remember...maybe 3/8"?), in the plastic, then used my dremel to make it MUCH wider, (at least 1/8" wider than the hex of the fitting, if not bigger).

The fitting kind of screwed into the cartridge hole, so I screwed it in a thread or two, then goobered up the remaining threads with JB. Then I screwed it in, and slopped more JB all around it. So the JB bonds the fitting to the cartridge, and the overflowed JB also holds the cartridge in the plastic thing.

Whew, that was long winded. Short version: Drill the plastic hole much bigger than the fitting you use so you can glop JB weld all around it and get a good seal.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Great build! I have a few of these laying about and have always been curious about the HF parts for CO2. This may be the last part of my puzzle!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #23
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just thought I would post an update to my system. I recently acquired a bunch of stuff from a guy that was retiring from brewing because of health issues. This included 2 mini fridges. I turned one into a lagering chamber and the other into a mini kegerator. I now have the ability to have 8 Home Draft kegs "On Tap" at a time.

A friend asked me to bring some beer over for their 4th of July celebration so I put the 2 fridges in the back of my 4Runner and it became my "Rolling Kegerator"

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #24
hipvictor
Recipes 

Wow. This is a beautiful thread. Question: could I safely go from a 20oz paintball tank via the 16g cartridge into the MLHD without need for a regulator? I have a 20oz tank with an on/off valve that could be piped directly into the system, but don't want to make a bomb. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
Dahoov
Recipes 

I don't think the hardware is rated for the pressure involved.

CO2 liquifies at a specific pressure based on temperature and I would say that the pressure in a 16 gram cartridge is the same as the pressure in a 20 oz bottle as well as a 5, 10 or even 20 lb bottle. My high pressure gauge usually shows about 500 lbs in my basement that is normally about 70 degrees. I have never put mine in the fridge but I understand that at 40 degrees the pressure is usually around 400 lbs.

I don't know that I would want to take the chance myself.

Something like this seems like a pretty good option to me. This one is a little expensive but perhaps you could find something for less on google or amazon.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_82384-61735-...co2&facetInfo=

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #26
hipvictor
Recipes 

Thanks for this info and inspiration. So, just to clarify, the MLHD can handle the pressure, but not the modded cartridge fitting? I wonder about assembling a dummy fixture about the same size that could handle the psi...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It should work, in theory, but dunno if you want to risk the JB weld blowing out at 800 PSI.

I bought a CO2 reg for about $35 on ebay, works great. Take a look at the home draft thing in my sig.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #28
SgtB
Recipes 

Why not just regulate the co2 down to below 50psi before the adapter? The internal reg is going to step it down to 15psi anyway. The only reason the cylinders are that high is for volume.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default the pressure caps

I saw where you had made a pressure cap for the bottle, using a tire valve and a cap.

Do you use that to carbonate as well. Add 30psi of CO2 or so?

That is such a sweet setup.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #30
Dahoov
Recipes 

Indeed. I have a few of them around that I use frequently, mostly for soda, but occasionally for cider. For soda I use about 30 PSI. For cider I use about 17 PSI. Make sure the beverage is cold first and then hook it up to the gas, shake it for about a minute while it is still hooked up to the gas then return it to the fridge to settle down for an hour or so. I don't do it for beer but if I did I would start at maybe 12 PSI then check it and adjust as necessary. I like to use the pressure I would hook it up to in my regular kegerator. That way I never over carbonate. I have found it easier to fix under carbonation than it is to fix over carbonation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jeff View Post
I saw where you had made a pressure cap for the bottle, using a tire valve and a cap.

Do you use that to carbonate as well. Add 30psi of CO2 or so?

That is such a sweet setup.

Quick Reply