The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Home center stainless screw warning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Home center stainless screw warning

I bought some stainless screws from Home Depot to secure the tap tower to my bar.

It turns out they're only "stainless finish", not actual stainless steel screws. I don't remember how they were packaged, but it certainly wasn't obvious that they weren't stainless.

badscrews_before0.jpg

badscrews_before.jpg

I had to buy real stainless ones from McMaster-Carr. The difference is obvious.

badscrews_compare.jpg

A little Barkeeper's Friend and a few new screws later, we're back in buisiness.

badscrews_after.jpg

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
kklowell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Those screws were sold as stainless? They look like a normal screw to me...you know, the zinc covered ones. That sucks... Which big box was it? I think I want to avoid buying screws there.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bummer! Those look like zinc plated. Whenever I have been in a pinch stainless hardware from both Lowes and HD have worked out well. They are always packaged in small bags that say stainless and cost 2-3 times the plated hardware prices.

McMaster has both of them beat as far as prices are concerned and their shipping is always extremely cheap.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Last edited by TheFlyingBeer; 12-19-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 796 Posts

Sorry you got burned, but looking at threaded section of those old screws it is obvious they weren't stainless steel...

Cheers!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Sorry you got burned, but looking at threaded section of those old screws it is obvious they weren't stainless steel...
They didn't look like that when I installed them a year ago. They looked like stainless.

-Joe

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer View Post
They are always packaged in small bags that say stainless and cost 2-3 times the plated hardware prices.
And yeah, this is what I bought. They were in the little bags above the normal machine screws and said STAINLESS on them.

I had the same problem with a different stainless machine screw I had bought to fix a knob on my wife's slow cooker, but thought maybe I'd grabbed the wrong one.

So either I got two sets of bolts at different times that were bagged wrong, or they're made of the crappiest stainless, ever.

-Joe

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if it doesnt say the word "steel" after "stainless", then its not stainless steel. i see products all the time claiming a "stainless" finish, or "color: stainless" - it just means it visually looks like stainless steel, its not at all a warranty against staining and has nothing to do with what its made out of. thats just how they get away with it.

you wont find many actual stainless steel nuts/bolts/hardware at big box stores, its too expensive. the best you will find is stainless steel plated. most things just have a 'stainless' finish (meaning brushed zinc-plated mild steel).

Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
you wont find many actual stainless steel nuts/bolts/hardware at big box stores, its too expensive.
They have stainless steel parts in the pull-out drawers at Lowe's. They are definitely expensive, but they are also definitely stainless steel.

edit: the ones packaged up in little plastic bags or boxes hanging on the wall are just stainless finish.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
edit: the ones packaged up in little plastic bags or boxes hanging on the wall are just stainless finish.
Egg-zactly. Making folks aware of this was my point in creating this thread. The packaging does not make it obvious (if it even says it at all, I'll check next time I'm there), and they certainly looked stainless when I installed them.

-Joe

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Holy crap sandwich. I didn't know that. I know I have purchased those before, but now I can't remember where they are... damn it.

Quick Reply