New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Holiday 5 Cu.Ft. Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
BuffaloBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Holiday 5 Cu.Ft. Chest Freezer

Thinking about buying this project for my first keezer build. Wanted to check and see if anyone has used this and if it's a quality product. Also...how many ball lock kegs will fit with 5# Co2?

Thanks.
-Keezer New Jack

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
optimatored
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBrews View Post
Thinking about buying this project for my first keezer build. Wanted to check and see if anyone has used this and if it's a quality product. Also...how many ball lock kegs will fit with 5# Co2?

Thanks.
-Keezer New Jack
I have had my 5.0 Holiday since about 2009 and still works fine. I put a 2x4 collar on the top so I could fit an additional 3gal corny keg on the hump with the Co2 tank. Otherwise, only 2 5gal kegs will fit...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Keg1: Saison
Keg2: Altbier
Bottled: RIS

On Deck: IPA, Dunkel, Doppelbock

Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
ihearthops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 5.0cf GE freezer that I converted. If you put a 8" or larger collar on, you can fit a 3rd 5gal corny on the compressor hump. I used 1x8 for the collar on mine.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
BuffaloBrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimatored View Post
I have had my 5.0 Holiday since about 2009 and still works fine. I put a 2x4 collar on the top so I could fit an additional 3gal corny keg on the hump with the Co2 tank. Otherwise, only 2 5gal kegs will fit...
Thanks for the responses, guys. If I were to knock the holiday collar up to a 2x8 or 2x10...would I then be able to fit a third 5gal ball lock keg on the hump with the Co2 tank?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
ihearthops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep -- this is exaclty what I have done. Build at least an 8" collar (10" if you want to ensure a little extra room), and you'll be fine. I have 2 ball lock 5 gal cornie's in the lower, and 1 5 gal ball lock cornie on the hump in addition to my 5lb c02 tank -- clearance is perfect.

I'd measure everything up on your Holiday model just to be sure it will all fit as I described -- I know they vary slightly from make/model.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
BuffaloBrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearthops View Post
Yep -- this is exaclty what I have done. Build at least an 8" collar (10" if you want to ensure a little extra room), and you'll be fine. I have 2 ball lock 5 gal cornie's in the lower, and 1 5 gal ball lock cornie on the hump in addition to my 5lb c02 tank -- clearance is perfect.

I'd measure everything up on your Holiday model just to be sure it will all fit as I described -- I know they vary slightly from make/model.
Greatly appreciated!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
txpete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Howdy. This is my first post but I am also building my keezer from the same 5 cu ft Holiday. Picked it up from Lowes at 179.99 plus a 10% coupon and my 10 % military discount. I was measuring this morning to get the dimensions for for the collar and I came up with 20 5/16" x 28 3/8". Does this sound right? ( I am slightly hungover, so vision is askew)

Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
TonyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 5cu holiday freezer, I can fit 2 5 gallon cornie's on the floor, a 3Gal and 5lb CO2 w/ 3 gauges on the hump. Its a bit of a tight fit, but it works out well. Just need to add a 3rd faucet to my draft tower!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anyone have pictures or dimensions of their build? I just picked up this freezer.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
txpete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I finished my build using a 5.0 Holiday last week. Now, I might get ribbed for whats currently on tap (i.e. commercial brews vs homebrew). I have not had adequate time to homebrew due to the qualification process that the Navy has me undertaking. Now without further adieu, my build.

Painted the freezer with 4 layers of chalkboard paint on the front and used an appliance enamel (non-spray paint) on the sides and back. After drying I installed LED ribbon lighting.

I built essentially a collar frame out of plywood (1x8) and then built a a 3 sided frame out Cypress (1x9) that just fit right over the plywood frame.

Stained and polyed the cypress.

It has double hinges. I like this method as it allows the shanks to be moved out of the way. The cypress is attached with carriage screws and the 5" shanks.

I need to add some insulation around the sides but I haven't had the time.
Also it will fit 3 1/6th commercial kegs or 3 cornys. The keg that sits on the hump will need a low profile sankey for commercial kegs. Cornys fit great but it is a tight squeeze. Also the plastic kegs some of the craft breweries are using are wider then then the metal versions. This is why it looks so packed.

I hope this is able to help you and any others that may need it.

Quick Reply