Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > hole in cooler too big for oring seal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
worthogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default hole in cooler too big for oring seal?

I just got a 70qt Coleman Xtreme cooler(marine version) and I'm getting ready to make my mash tun. When I removed the drain assembly I realized the hole is about an inch in diameter. A 1/2" nipple is real sloppy in there. Do you think an oring will seal my weldless bulkead or will I need to get one of those flat silicone washers. Anyone else have this issue? I was expecting to have to drill that hole out so a nipple would fit, then it would be nice and tight. Just wondering what others suggest. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just got some of the flat rubber washers from Lowe's that were the right diameter to cover the hole and still allow the valve to pass through. Making your own tun involves some trial and error

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
worthogg
Recipes 

Yeah, the trial and error wouldn't be so bad if I didn't live in BFE. 2 hours to a hardware or grocery store so I do much of my shopping for specialty items online. I make my town trip once every month or two, and if I can't find what I need when I'm there it's too bad jim...I was assuming the washers I use need to be high temp food grade, etc. I was mainly asking to see if others had encountered this same issue and what ended up working for them. With my lag time of ordering and shipping it could be weeks(or worse) before I get it dialed.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
SligoDrinkingClub
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a similar sized hole on mine. I have a female 1/2" ball valve with a 2" nipple to go through the interface. Inside the cooler I am going from the nipple to a 1/2" FPT copper fitting that's forms into a 1/2" pipe to attach to my manifold.

To get a tight fit I got some food grade gasket material (around 3/32 thick), and three stainless washers. Two of my washers we're 1.5" in diameter, the third was 2" o.d. Add all of them up and I got a great seal. I used the washers and a exacto knife to cut the gasket material. The third washer is to make up the gap.

Sorry no picture but hopefully the description helps. I tried using the original plastic fittings that came with my cooler as gaskets but the continually leaked.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
worthogg
Recipes 

sligo, where did you get the food grade gasket material? All your washers are on the inside? thanks for the tips

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh286 View Post
I just got some of the flat rubber washers from Lowe's that were the right diameter to cover the hole and still allow the valve to pass through. Making your own tun involves some trial and error
I did that on one of mine as well. I also did one where I simply cut up an old neoprene mouse pad and made my own.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Have any young kids at home? Baby bottle silicone nipples make a great flanged gasket.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
worthogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I did that on one of mine as well. I also did one where I simply cut up an old neoprene mouse pad and made my own.
That is a great idea!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
worthogg
Recipes 

So what I'm understanding here is that it's not necessarily the size of the hole you're trying to seal that matters, but getting good coverage of the hole with the right material.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
SligoDrinkingClub
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, the gasket was the funny one. I got that as scrap from my job. I used two of the washers on the outside, the larger diameter washer was the one resting against the cooler, and just one on the inside. Both inside and outside had gaskets cut to match the washers.

Quick Reply