Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > HERMS or RIMS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If I had to answer that BK, it would be that you can't direct fire and insulate at the same time. Sure, you've got the HERMS maintaining but it would be nice not to be wasteful of energy. I'm thinking element/tube RIMS and insulated MLT for that reason. The element only runs every once in a while because the heat retention is good.
Thats how my brewery works. I have a burner under my MLT but never intend to use it. I am sure you have seen my posts, but it is a Relatively inexpensive way to go. You can build the one I have using 304 Stainless Steel pipe or spend a few more bucks and go 316 Stainless, a PID, "J" Thermocouple and low density heater for under $200.

PS: I am looking for an insulating jacket for my MLT. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

Guy

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 07-02-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
BorderBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sawdustguy,
To insulate my Mash Tun (15.5 gal Sanke keg), I used two layers of Mylar bubble wrap taped on with aluminum duct tape, then two layers of the closed cell foam from a backpackers sleeping pad. Over that I wrapped the whole thing with 3" wide Copper Electrical tape from 3M. My mash tun is made from a Sanke keg turned upside down. The keg bottom is cut out and is now the top of the tun and I used the spear neck for a center bottom drain by welding a 1/2" FPT 316SS tank spud onto the spear neck. I have a copper manifold made of 1/2" pipe threaded into the tank spud. This manifold holds my thermocouple probe vertically which protrudes up into the wort under the false bottom. The manifold tees off to a QD connection to my pump inlet. I cut circular pieces of closed cell foam to insulate around the spear neck bottom drain and I use oversized circular pieces of foam to insulate the top. I tuck the edges of the oversized pieces up under the keg chines while mashing. This arrangement has worked well for me.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #23
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
PS: I am looking for an insulating jacket for my MLT. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.
Two turns of Reflectix from HD with some silver foil tape keeping it in position on the keggle. The outside of it is cool to the touch while mashing so anything beyond that seems to be wasteful in my system. btw - next brew should be using your SS pipe heater. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Two turns of Reflectix from HD with some silver foil tape keeping it in position on the keggle. The outside of it is cool to the touch while mashing so anything beyond that seems to be wasteful in my system. btw - next brew should be using your SS pipe heater. Fingers crossed!
Good luck with your session Sam. You will do fine.

Guy

Quick Reply