Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > HELP: Walk-in Cooler Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
tpgsr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, I agree with that, and as I have a freezer in my garage, I can test the temperature blowing off of the coils in the winter to see how hot the air it is ejecting is. That will give me and idea of the load that it will be placing on the cooler.

I was going to just frame it in like the door, but I guess that if it dies I would be having to do major remodeling to get another one in the same spot.

Thanks for all of the help thus far guys!! It is sad that I am still just building up a BOM and putting the prints together. I am the type of guy that once the plan is laid I would rather just jump head first in to it. I can't even think about starting this until I sign closing papers... and that is at least 2-3 months away

Oh well, I have the build of my brew rig to hold me over until then!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
tpgsr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
What exactly do you want the freezer section for? Does it really have to be integrated into the walk-in cooler design?

My 0.02: If you are going to use a refrigerator to cool the freezer unit, why not just go with a chest freezer and keep it separate? It seems like if you get rid of the integrated freezer idea, this project become much easier to work out and more doable.

Yeah, the freezer inside the cooler idea is a cool...but is it absolutely necessary?
I do not think that the freezer is making it hard at all. What is making it hard is deciding how to cool the freezer and draw from it. I could easily go out and buy a freezer blower and condenser unit, but where is the fun in that. The challenge here is to push the limits of what has been done, what can be done and how it can be done. The freezer section will be used to store food, hops, and bodies. I actually am just as excited to have a large freezer where I can store meat and Sams purchases as I am for having a keg cooler. Just wait until I attach another addition to this with more louvers and fans for a fermentation chamber!!

I actually found a commercial cooler on craigslist that is $800, and I may just buy that. I am waiting to hear back if it includes the blowers or not. Even if I buy that, I am still going to have to DIY some of the build which makes me happy. The walls on this unit are really tall, and will have to be cut down to fit my space. The condenser is also mounted on the roof of the cooler and mine would have to be mounted on the side. Either way I cut it, this animal is about $1000 and that is not too shabby for a giant fridge. (the freezer not included in that price!)

Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
..."Penetration are Problems waiting to happen."...
True in many aspects of life...

Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #24
tpgsr
Recipes 

Here is a pretty big update to the prints... I based them off of the suggestions and a quick drawing one of the guy on my board posted. I am still concerned that the ac unit should be exhausted to the outside of the house, but that can always be changed for a few dollars even after the build is done. I also have plenty of time to ponder this before I can even begin work so maybe I will figure out my balance between the positives and negatives.

On to the images:

Overview of the room:

View looking left from the door:

View looking from the front left corner:

Birds-eye view of the whole thing. You can see how thick the walls are in this one (ignore the right corners... it is a program thing I can not figure out.):

Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #25
tpgsr
Recipes 

I got a lot more feedback from the other board, and this is what we came up with in the end:

Here is What I came up with after taking a measurement of my current basement and assuming that my new house will be pretty close to the same width.

EDIT: Damn... The dimensional overview image is corrupt and on my home computer... oh well, 3d overviews gives enough of an idea for now.

This is the layout of the rooms up against the concrete of the foundation:

Here is a shot of the unfinished bar, and it will not look like this at all, this is for illustration purposes. I am going to build it using nice woods and either pounded brass or copper. Notice the sliding window that reaches into the cooler so that we can store bottles of beer on that shelf and have easy access to them!

The brewing room. There is still more to go in there as well, but the program didn't really have all of the images I need so I will have to create them.

And the cooler which is virtually unchanged except for the window and the door moving from the front to the brew room.

I will probably update this sometime over the weekend with my final revisions and a full Bill of Materials with cost.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!! I would have never gotten this project to this point without all of the great input here. I can not wait to create the build thread in a couple of months when we start putting all of this craziness together.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #26
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Still not sure why your stuck on the idea of having the freezer open into the cold room, especially the way you have everything laid out. Why not have the freezer sitting in that corner of the brewery but opening into the brewery. This keeps you from having to open the cold room door(and letting a lot of cold fall out) just to get something out of the freezer. It also makes more "wall space" inside the cooler where you could put more kegs/shelves/stuff without really giving up much space in the brewery.

Also it's not clear in the mockup, will there be a part of the bar that hinges up, or will the bartender have to leap the bar to get back there?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
tpgsr
Recipes 

I want the freezer in the cooler so that I can pull things out of it and into the fridge to defrost. I also think that it works out a lot better in the cooler aesthetically. I really will not need any more shelf space in the cooler as I already have more than actually necessary.

As far as the bar, I tried for like 15 min to get the bar built how I wanted in the drawing.... It was not happening so I drew a cabinet, threw a top on it and called it a bar. The actual bar will be much nicer and will have a hinged gate on the right side so that we can get behind it. That or we are considering a walkthrough between the brew room and the back of the bar.

Quick Reply