Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Help with propane plumbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Tomtanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Help with propane plumbing

Eye guys,

Can someone please help me with the propane plumbing for a single tier rig? I have three banjo burners and plan to do a direct fire rims system. I'm about halfway through welding my stand together and the next step will be mounting and plumbing the burners. I have zero experience with this kind of thing and was wondering if someone can help me ala step by step instructions and or pics with how to start. I will most likely keep it simple but have no problem paying extra to make sure it is done right and is safe. I would love to do something as simple as running these burners like you might run a grill in your backyard..... Can anyone help a guy out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm using 1/4" copper coil for my setup, inexpensive, easy to work with, and supplies enough juice (remember that the gas comes out of the regulator via much smaller opening than 1/4").

Other's have used the tubing the single tier is made out of to route the gas, others use steel pipe from home depot (they'll cut it to size and can cut threads for you).

They all work just fine, what kind of look are you looking for and/or effort involved?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used 1/2" copper and soldered my whole rig up pretty fast. Much easier than using black pipe. I can hook up one propane cylinder on the right side and run all three burners at once, if needed.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
blaze379
Recipes 

I used 1/4 inch threaded galv. Pipe for my propane plumbing

Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're using low pressure gas (either natural gas or propane), I'd suggest 1/2" black iron pipe.
1/2" black pipe is cheap as hell. Don't use galvanized on propane, The gas will eat the coating, causing it to flake off and probably plug orifices and such. Not good.
1/4" will restrict BTU output significantly on low pressure.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have to disagree on the 1/4" restriction. The hose coming from the regulator on most propane tanks is 1/4" and the burner orifice is where the real restriction is.
We used to use 1/2" pipe. We found this to be much simpler and works great. The needle valves give the user a lot more control.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy
I have to disagree on the 1/4" restriction. The hose coming from the regulator on most propane tanks is 1/4" and the burner orifice is where the real restriction is.
We used to use 1/2" pipe. We found this to be much simpler and works great. The needle valves give the user a lot more control.
So do you control the flame with the valve you pictured here? I was under the impression that most people set the plumbing up on the backside of the stand and used a separate switch to control the flame from the front.

You see what I'm talking about? Zero experience on my end!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Gas for each burner is controlled by the valve attached to it. You may be confused by the flexible lines running to each valve. The hose is being used in lieu of hard pipe. In the last picture, the long hose is connected to the regulator and propane tank. Routing from the back of the frame often means the builder is using the frame for a gas manifold which is EXTREMELY unsafe. Where the feed hose is routed from (front, back, side) is irrelevant. It's a matter of personal preference. The cost of the components you see in the photos is comparable to that of hard plumbing. Less fittings are required and because we make up our own hose lines the fit is clean. Note that the plumbing is designed to be connected to the tank from either end of the stand.
Here is a more traditional approach:

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy
Gas for each burner is controlled by the valve attached to it. You may be confused by the flexible lines running to each valve. The hose is being used in lieu of hard pipe. In the last picture, the long hose is connected to the regulator and propane tank. Routing from the back of the frame often means the builder is using the frame for a gas manifold which is EXTREMELY unsafe. Where the feed hose is routed from (front, back, side) is irrelevant. It's a matter of personal preference. The cost of the components you see in the photos is comparable to that of hard plumbing. Less fittings are required and because we make up our own hose lines the fit is clean. Note that the plumbing is designed to be connected to the tank from either end of the stand.
Here is a more traditional approach:
Thanks for explaining! See this is why newbs need this forum. Do you sell your fittings/plumbing independently of your stands ?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
de3isit
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just my two cents, but the 1/2" black pipe is really easy to work with. Here are a few pics of my set up. You can get everything at Lowes or HD.

10-burners.jpg

12-burners.jpg

13-burners.jpg

imag0252.jpg

Good luck!!

Quick Reply