The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Help me perfect my bar plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Help me perfect my bar plan

So my wife previously had a bichon frise dog (small, white, fluffy) that was her childhood dog. I was not the biggest fan of the dog but my wife loved it so it lived with us for the last almost three years after college.

Last week the dog was struck by a car and died. She was sick and ready for the end anyway, none-the-less, my wife was very sad.

We didn't think we would get a new dog for a long time. However, loneliness set in without a four legged friend around and she started looking for a new dog. A long story short, I am now the proud owner of these guys:

Both are Portuguese water dogs. Bubba is a five year old male, Adhara is an eight-week old puppy girl. I am super excited to have a dog (or two) around that I can identify with!!!

So where does this turn into a bar design thread...

We need a place to kennel these guys and we do not have a back hall or laundry room on the first floor of our house. So we were coming up with ideas, and I thought of putting them in some furniture to make it look nice and provide a usable space....

what kind of furniture though???

The bar would include two taps, a wine fridge, a small sink, and storage space for glasses etc. above the dogs. The dog kennels would be as shown and hidden from view most of the time.

I am thinking the kennel doors would be removable or slide-in so they could be removed during the day/when we are using the bar.

This needs to look really nice as it is in the main part of my house in the same room as the living room. The door is above the bar in the top view. I am thinking you would enter the house by a nice bar entertaining area. It has to look classy so you don't walk into my house and think "alcoholic" before you see anything else.

Please give me some feedback so this is the best design possible before I pitch the idea to Danika (my wife).

Cheers!

Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well...if I were your dog's I'd definitely want the outside one as it appears to have more ventilation.

Unless the stool facing side is the side you were talking about being removable for when the dogs are in there.

Other than that I LOVE this idea

Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

So more ventilation? That can be done....

Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Awesome idea! The only thing I might add is that you may want to make the "Crate" portion easily replaceable. You dont want to get all sorts of angry at the dogs when they destroy your awesome bar due to chewing/claws/normal ware and tear. I just dont want to see you have to take the whole thing apart to replace some damaged wood.

Just a thought. Wish my Great dane were small enough for this to work .... his crate currently takes up about 1/16 of the floor space in my basement.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks great from my end...I'll have my current GF (or as I like to refer to her as SW"thinks she"MBO) look at it as she is a animal rescuer and goes all crazy about things like this.

If she says its fine...I'd bet SPCA would do backflips over it.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
Awesome idea! The only thing I might add is that you may want to make the "Crate" portion easily replaceable.
This is a great idea. I can make the kennels removable, so they can be worked on/replaced.

This won't be build for a while, at least 6-8 months (probably longer). So the puppy won't be a puppy when it goes up. But it is a good idea to have the kennels be replaceable.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
This is a great idea. I can make the kennels removable, so they can be worked on/replaced.

This won't be build for a while, at least 6-8 months (probably longer). So the puppy won't be a puppy when it goes up. But it is a good idea to have the kennels be replaceable.
yeah at least he won't be a puppy. Man puppies do a lot of dmamage! My dog is 3 years old and he ruins stuff just by being a dog. He's not a chewer, but he is 140 lbs which isn't helping out.

glad you are thinking about making them removable. I'm thinking you'll be happy you did. (Even if one of them has an "accident")

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You could just make them big enough to insert an actual kennel and then keep the wood the way it is with wire kennel inside, or maybe just try to line the inside with a dog proof plastic of some sort. I'm thinking maybe add a tap for the dogs as well. Are the kennels just for sleeping in to secure them or is it a lounging space for them? Lastly, are those lederhosen?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
You could just make them big enough to insert an actual kennel and then keep the wood the way it is with wire kennel inside, or maybe just try to line the inside with a dog proof plastic of some sort. I'm thinking maybe add a tap for the dogs as well.
I could do this, but I think I would be happier with them just sleeping in the nice boxes.

Quote:
Are the kennels just for sleeping in to secure them or is it a lounging space for them?
Sleep and lounge. There will be some nice pillows in there for them.

Quote:
Lastly, are those lederhosen?
Yes. Thanks for noticing.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh wait...I thought you wanted them to "crate" them while you were out

If they are just their sit in baskets then you probably wouldn't need the extra vents...unless the dogs wanted to see what was going on in the room...which they usually do.

Quick Reply