Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Help me finish my brewstand project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Flap wheels are by far better but if u wire wheel then use a flap wheel you will use a lot less of them, they won't gum up as fast that way. A flapper wheel does give a nice finish.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
udt89
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Any advise on parts/connectors for the keggles?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm using camlocks and tubing from bargain fittings on mine they just came in today as a matter of fact, with 1/2" couplings welded to the pots. If you don't have acess to a welder they also sell the weldless kind too. I got my ss ball valves here in town from the supply house but bargain fittings has good prices on those as well. Pumps from Austin brewing because they have free shipping over $100. Don't know if any of that helps.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
udt89
Recipes 

i think these keggles, at least two, have tri clamp fittings on them. I never used or have any education on how they work....or what I need to get. Plus that other keg has some weird ass connector that I dont know what it is.

I just want some help getting ball valves connected to the two kegs that are tri clamp. One for the HLT on top of the stand and the other which will be the boil kettle. The other keg that doesnt have the tri clamp I decided to use as the mash tun based on advice from this forum.

Will I run into problems because I will be using a pump between a MLT with different fittings than the boil kettle? That is why I first thought using the keg with the smaller different fitting as the HLT because it wouldnt make connecting the pump inbetween the mash tun and boil kettle.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
TriangleIL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The smaller looking fitting is just a compression fitting. I think you could probably remove that, if you wanted all your fittings to be tri-clamp. The tri-clamp fittings are really easy to figure out, they all work with those large clamps, and 2 tri-clamp fittings face each other and you clamp them down. It doesn't look like your valves are tri-clamp and from the picture I can't really tell what they are. Do they have threads inside of them?

You won't run into problems with different fittings, only that you may need specific hoses for each connection, etc. If the majority of your fittings are already tri-clamp, you could probably just remove the compression fitting and modify to be tri-clamp.

As for pumps, you can start small with 1 pump, either a Little Giant or a March 809. They can be had on ebay fairly cheaply usually. You can buy two pumps right away, but it may be overkill.

Of course you need a way to heat the water. You can go propane or electric here.

I would check out some other build threads on the site for ideas, and then maybe you can ask more specific questions as you go. Difficult to give you good suggestions since everyone's builds are different.

Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
udt89
Recipes 

How would I apply a false bottom w/dip tube or screen with a tri clamp setup? What does the dip tube attach to?

Long Island Computer Repair

Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
udt89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by udt89 View Post
How would I apply a false bottom w/dip tube or screen with a tri clamp setup? What does the dip tube attach to?
Still looking to answer this. I also added some more pics. Some of the inside of the kegs. One looks to have burn marks on the bottom, the one with the compression fitting. Do I need to clean up the holes in the inside? Or is that normal look after welding? Do you think that keg might just be worthless because of the burnt bottom and semi rusty looking inside of the fitting?

I just bought a march 809 and a duda plate chiller. So basically all the big stuff is taken care of. Bought two burners on here about 2 weeks ago as well.

I'm not to worried about cleaning up the stand as I tested the strength of everything and it all seems just fine. So cleaning up the rust is secondary to finishing everything else.

Basically now all i need is a way to hook up a dip tube/false bottom/screen to the BK and some other type of false bottom/screen in the MLT. As well as getting tri clamp ball valves. I have hose and all the little stuff from before I moved to all grain.

Any help and things I'm forgetting would help me out a ton

Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
brumer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keggle parts: bargain fittings and brewhardware.com

To get rid of rust, "DEWALT 120-Grit 4-1/2"W x 4-1/2"L High-Performance Abrasive Sandpaper" attached to a grinder

edit: I missed your most recent post so half of what I wrote wasnt applicable

Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #19
brumer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by udt89 View Post

http://www.brewhardware.com/valves/116-12diptubes

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
udt89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumer0
I don't think this is right. Nothing on my kettle is threaded. I didn't see any tri clamp stuff at their site

Quick Reply