Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Help Me Customize My New House for Brewing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
johntangus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Help Me Customize My New House for Brewing!

We are getting ready to build a house! And, luckily for us, we know the builder and are going to be able to do some customizing.

We can't go crazy (so the refrigerated beer room is out). We have a small budget for the house/lot. But, I am getting a two-car garage that the SWMBO has already agreed will be my brewing HQ.

I found out yesterday that the new neighborhood is set up for natural gas. So, I'm definitely thinking gas outlets on the patio and maybe in the garage. I'm also going to be asking for a utility sink and a floor drain.

What else can I do? If I wanted to brew in the garage, what sort of ventilation would be necessary? I'd love to do a bar, too.

Help me dream up some other requests I can pass along to our builder. Go nuts!

Why do you want to watch TV and listen to the stereo at the same time? Because I like to party.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

you might want to consider pushing the side wall of the garage out a little bit so you can fit you brewing equipment in the garage with two garages.. so it would be a 2.5 car garage.

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
johntangus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think my width is going to be limited. although i am willing to park my car outside in the driveway!

So, I'll have one car and a few yard tools (lawnmower, edger, etc.) - the rest is for BEER.

Why do you want to watch TV and listen to the stereo at the same time? Because I like to party.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Assuming your going to brew out side, I would love to have a 4 by 8 Cement slab, out side the garage, That was slightly slanted to allow the water to drain off. I would then add a 4 foot ledge roof over the slab, hot and cold Water and gas access on/in the slab.

It would allow you to brew in the rain. you could screen in for bugs, wall in for weather. long term use one end for a cooler, all the storage would be in the garage.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
johntangus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the idea. i may be able to pull off some sort of awning for weather protection. If we do a screened porch, then i will have to get a gas outlet and water spigot.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you have a large enough yard you could always build a guesthouse type brewshack seprate from your house that is plumbed for gas, water, and electric. Just sayin'.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
johntangus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The brewhouse-shed would be sweet, but the lot isn't going to be huge. I'd rather have the setup in my garage where it can be hidden/shown off at will.

I know I've seen threads where people have hooked up brew stands to natural gas lines and brewed in their basements/garages. How would you ventilate an indoor brew station?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm in the planning stages for brewing with propane in my garage. Ventilation is high up on my list and I'm currently stalking craig's list for a commercial grade hood...

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Run a lot of electricity into the garage. 2 or 3 220 50amp circuits. Think about what you will need, then double it.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, they often put the main panel right in the garage but if not, have a 100amp subpanel put in.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply