Help with DIY false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThwWorm

Reaction score
I am in the process of converting a keg into a mash tun. I have been driving myself crazy looking for a sheet of perforated stainless steel that I can use. Everything I have found is either sold in bulk or is insanely expensive. None of my local scrap metal places have had any, and I'm ready to start drilling/cutting holes in a regular stainless sheet. Is there anyone out there who has any left over from their DIY projects that I can purchase? Any help or advice would be awesome. Cheers!!

From time to time, I have access to some great material, the holes are smaller than 1/8". Stainless and heavy gauge. A piece about 20 x 20 inches was about 25 bucks. I made a hinged false bottom, used a guide on a angle grinder to make almost a perfect circle. Once cut in half however, and adding a hinge, they are no longer perfectly round. It still fits the keg nice, but leaves a little larger gap around some parts of the keg than the other. If you had a cad program on a water jet machine, you could take into account the thickness of the cut, the hinge, etc. It is hard to make a perfect copy of a production model such as from Sabco etc.

Here is the material that I got, It measures about 24" by 24". It has a dime on it for reference, I think it has the right size for flow vs. filtration, if that makes sense.
DSC02094.jpg

I have seen a cool false bottom design for under 10 bucks. They took a stainless cake pan and drilled the tiny holes in them by hand. It looks like it worked really well and it was domed?

I got my 16 gauge metal square at Friedmens hardware store for 30. Cut it out with a pair of tin snips. Been using it for a year now.

From time to time, I have access to some great material, the holes are smaller than 1/8". Stainless and heavy gauge. A piece about 20 x 20 inches was about 25 bucks. I made a hinged false bottom, used a guide on a angle grinder to make almost a perfect circle. Once cut in half however, and adding a hinge, they are no longer perfectly round. It still fits the keg nice, but leaves a little larger gap around some parts of the keg than the other. If you had a cad program on a water jet machine, you could take into account the thickness of the cut, the hinge, etc. It is hard to make a perfect copy of a production model such as from Sabco etc.

Cut it in half and add the hinge then cut the circle shape. Perfect circle every time. I tried to make a false bottom out of a lot of materials and failed. I couldn't find the proper metal and tried using those splash screens and other diy objects, however just ended up buying Jaybirds and it works perfectly.

All done! Here are the pics. I actually had enough steel to make two false bottoms. The one you see
In my keg is the second one that i cut.

IMG_20120202_133110.jpg

IMG_20120203_124612.jpg

IMG_20120224_085333.jpg

One of the members on the forum had an extra sheet floating around. I paid 40 shipped. Stuff is really hard to find. All the local places here want $200 for a 20" square. I do have an extra 15" circle if you are interested.

Go to wal mart or bed bath and beyond and buy the OXO splatter screen. It's very rigid, only 20 bucks and is easily made into a false bottom with tin snips and a drill!

ForumRunner_20120226_002835.jpg

ForumRunner_20120226_002907.jpg

ForumRunner_20120226_002940.jpg

And also four 16mm stainless screws. I have pics if you want. You can make it into a folding false bottom if you buy stainless hinges.

Go to wal mart or bed bath and beyond and buy the OXO splatter screen. It's very rigid, only 20 bucks and is easily made into a false bottom with tin snips and a drill!

That is cool as hell! I wish you would have posted this before I made mine.. I might still buy one anyway, because it would still be nicer than the one I made! With that said, I just made mine a week ago and haven't even brewed with it yet. If mine works great I won't bother, but if not I now have a plan "B".. I made mine from the cut-out-top of my keg. Here's a photo;
IMG00548-20120220-1216.jpg
[/IMG]

I'd like to thank ThwWorm for this thread.

I went to a local metal supply and explained what I was doing and they cut me a deal on 16 x 48 piece of 304 stainless with 3/32 holes on 5/32 centers. I proceeded to make 2 15" FBs and 2 "level 1 filtration stands" (credit to Jaybird and his idea). All stainless hinges and hardware. I have enough material for one more 15" FB if anyone is interested.

16" x 16" square $50 shipped FedEx 2 day insured

or

I'll cut another 15" FB and hinge it for $80 shipped FedEx 2 day insured

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

I am in the process of converting a keg into a mash tun. I have been driving myself crazy looking for a sheet of perforated stainless steel that I can use. Everything I have found is either sold in bulk or is insanely expensive. None of my local scrap metal places have had any, and I'm ready to start drilling/cutting holes in a regular stainless sheet. Is there anyone out there who has any left over from their DIY projects that I can purchase? Any help or advice would be awesome. Cheers!!

Holes makes not very good false bottoms.

Wedge Wire will do that.
haixingbob1306833656.JPG

I got my 16 gauge metal square at Friedmens hardware store for 30. Cut it out with a pair of tin snips. Been using it for a year now.

I did the same thing, and put a bead of food-grade silicone around the edge to make sure it fits snug inside the MLT. It works really well.

Back