Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Help on copper tubing for chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #21
springer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Beau if you weren't so far I would give ya a hand. I just built a 1/2" x 50' IC over the weekend .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 3/8 must be harder to work with than the 1/2 I had no issues with kinking.

I'd call the scrap dealers around you they get copper coils all the time.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #23
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
The 3/8 must be harder to work with than the 1/2 I had no issues with kinking.

I'd call the scrap dealers around you they get copper coils all the time.
I really don't think it is. Just have to go slow and with steady pressure to bend it. Also never straighten the coil it comes in. The copper is annealed and once you start bending or straightening the copper it will get stiff.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #24
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah i found that out the hard way, i straightened parts and that was dumb. i ordered the 50 ft im gonna keep it in a coil and go SLOW and make the coil smaller i also got a 3/8 spring tubing bender but i tried it on my old one and once i made a bend it was like impossible to pull the dumb coil off it got stuck... idk how thats gonna work out. thanks for the offer springer, if we were closer id def would of trusted it to someone else!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau815 View Post
yeah i found that out the hard way, i straightened parts and that was dumb. i ordered the 50 ft im gonna keep it in a coil and go SLOW and make the coil smaller i also got a 3/8 spring tubing bender but i tried it on my old one and once i made a bend it was like impossible to pull the dumb coil off it got stuck... idk how thats gonna work out. thanks for the offer springer, if we were closer id def would of trusted it to someone else!
how tight are you trying to get the coil? the spring should slide off even at a 90° bend. Also dont pull on the spring think of it like those little toy Chinese handcuffs , you need to push it off or the spring shrinks and grabs the tubing.

all i did with one was wrap it around a corny keg

Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #26
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

that looks awesome... thats about how tight i want it... i dont have a cornie tho. I will have to find something similar. You do it like that video? have someone hold it up and start winding from the bottom? Thanks for the chinese finger trap thing i see what you mean... the guy at the store was showing me how and he tried to yank it off too and it took him a few min. lol so thats how i figured it was done... so ill try to push it off from the back... i got 50 feet and even tho i only do 5 gallon batches that cant hurt and it was cheaper on that site. It arrives tuesday according to UPS tracking. Im gonna take it SLOW

Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #27
Nitsua
Recipes 

When I made I did not want to go through the trouble and additional expense of welding copper (That and I don't know how). I modded it on what the LHBS was selling. I got 20 ft of copper and coiled it around a lg coffee can (I lack a corny). I just went really slow and bent it all by hand. 10 ft of plastic tubing (cut in half), 3 hose clamps and a hose fitting. $35 from Home Depot. It works Great.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #28
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

that tubing and clamps looks identical to what i have, i am waiting for my 50 feet to show up... then ill do it slow by hand and use maybe a coffee can too because i also have no cornie. Looks really good. if mine looks like that ill be VERY happy. So it comes in a disc shape... you hold it above the can like in that video and lower it down while pressing in towards the can? and on bending the long part upwards... i bent mine bad... you just went really slow? im practicing on my ruined one and its still kinking pretty easily, maybe because i straightened it to try to make that "ribcage" one that coils from both sides.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #29
Nitsua
Recipes 

I basically did the something as in the video, since I was only working w/ 20 it was a bit easier and I coiled it my self. To get the pipe through the center, I slowly shrunk the diameter of one loop at a time and fed it through the center. Then slowly in small increments I straitened it out and pulled it through. You can see in the pic how the base of the center pipe is coiling back through the middle.

FYI A paint can was also about the same size.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #30
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks a lot for that info. It will def help come Tuesday. I just hope that I can do it as well as you and not make any kinks... maybe mine was SO hard because like an idiot i straightened it all out.

Quick Reply