Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Help with converting a gearhead motor to a stirrer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
stoutaholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with converting a gearhead motor to a stirrer

I'm trying to build a stirrer that will faciliate whirlpooling during chilling. I bought one of these motors (63 RPM Rotation CCW, Torque 10 lb-in ) based upon a recommendation. I believe it is what Carl's Wort-O-Matic uses as a stirrer.

Anyway, now I am wondering how to remove the gearhead. I want to be able to attach a propeller shaft, and obviously the gearhead is preventing me from doing that. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it?

This is what I have:

This is what I want to build:

Thanks,
Shaun

Last edited by stoutaholic; 08-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Do you just want to remove that gear on the end of the shaft? The gearbox stays correct?

The description in that link says there is a keyway so I would also expect there to be a setscrew (probably allen-head) in there somewhere. A keyway is just a slot in the end of the shaft and a small rectangular 'key' goes into that slot...that leaves half of the key protruding from the shaft and that locks into a keyway (slot) in the gear. A setscrew often holds the key in. You should be able to loosen the setscrew and that should allow it to come off. HTH.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
stoutaholic
Recipes 

Yep, exactly, I just want to remove the gear on the end of the shaft. I'll take another look at the gearhead when I get home and see if I can find the setscrew. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply