Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Heatstick = awesome!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #531
Bill33525
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What volume of water are you heating? I get a vigorous boil using 2600 watts and 7 gallons of wort.
Insulating the kettle will help as well as partially covering the top of the kettle. I wrap my kettle with a movers blanket. If the metallic bubble wrap is cheap okay, but otherwise find something around the house.
You might have a voltage drop problem if you are not close to the main breaker panel. If you have a volt meter check the voltage at the socket with no load and then with one stick running, see if the supply voltage takes a big dip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #532
rmoody
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogs View Post
Heatsticks with no jb weld.

I rounded the nut on the heater element and this allowed it to slip back in the metal drain pipe which then allowed the 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" drain pipe nut to seal on the gasket. Heater element was first pushed through the gray gasket and was able to use a 1" copper female pipe thread fitting to draw the heater element to the gray gasket. My only concern is the gray gasket and may replace with a silicone high temp food grade gasket.

Haven't done a full brew session yet but did bring 7gal of 120º starting water to boil in 35 min using both 2000 watt sticks. Heat rose at a rate 10º every 4 min.
I took your idea and used a 1" NPS stainless steel lock nut and a silicone o-ring. Got the lock nut from bargainfittings.com. I could not get a seal without it. I thought filing the nut on the element would be much more difficult, but it's made of a very soft material (aluminum I guess) and a bastard file made quick work of it, took me about 30 minutes. I will be testing the assembly this week sometime.
07-element-filed.jpg   09-element-assebled.jpg   10-tube-element-assembled.jpg   05-element-assembly-order.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 AM   #533
TheCanisDirus
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Would love to see a DIY for this sealant-free stick! I need to make one and would prefer to avoid using any sealants if possible.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #534
TheCanisDirus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogs View Post
Finding a gasket was not easy. I ended up using a 1" Tri Clover Gasket Silicone.

Here's the link:
http://www.brewershardware.com/1-Tri...SILGASKET.html

I had to alter it so I didn't get leaks. The copper fitting I used I ended up cutting the excess copper off the fitting so I basically just had a copper nut that screwed onto the stick. What I had left over was used as a punch for the center of silicone gasket. I sharpened the copper pipe fitting end and centered it on the gasket and used a hammer to punch out the center hole so that it fit snugly over the heating element. I also had to carefully cut of the raised ring that runs on both sides of the gasket so that it was flat on both sides. The reward off all this is that I now have a stick I can take apart and replace elements if I need to.

I have brewed 7 12 gallon batches so far with no problem.
Would you be able to post dissembled pics of your new set-up? Going to try building one of these but def want to stay away from any sealant.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #535
cjgenever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
I took your idea and used a 1" NPS stainless steel lock nut and a silicone o-ring. Got the lock nut from bargainfittings.com. I could not get a seal without it. I thought filing the nut on the element would be much more difficult, but it's made of a very soft material (aluminum I guess) and a bastard file made quick work of it, took me about 30 minutes. I will be testing the assembly this week sometime.
I did this as well. Never thought to post it. I didn't need to round the element, simply center it and tighten the nut. I did use a dab of sealant on the threads with Teflon tape. I don't trust tape on coarse threads like that.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #536
cjgenever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

1" Silicon sealing washer (if you search silicon gasket you'll never find it) also available from Zorro tools. Got mine off them via eBay.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #537
TheCanisDirus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgenever View Post
1" Silicon sealing washer (if you search silicon gasket you'll never find it) also available from Zorro tools. Got mine off them via eBay.

Any pictures of your version without the filed element collar? Curious to see how it fits without the filing.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #538
cjgenever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No, I'd rather not disassemble it. It simply fit inside the bell of the pipe and I placed the nut over it. It was a hassle to keep it strait as I tightened everything together. A round element base would have been better, but this worked. The threads received a bit of Teflon tape and silicon sealant. The sealant should be food safe. Mine wasn't, but there isn't really any exposed and I let it cure for a week, then boiled with it in 5% ph for an hour to remove any possible flavors/surface contaminates. A sealing washer goes over the compression nut, and a 1" npt ss nut over that. Also used Teflon tape and a bit of sealant on the threads here. I was worried that wort might make its way through the threads and short out the stick, that is the reason for the sealant on the threads.

BTW, I did not seal contacts on the backside of the element with jb weld or whatnot. I figured that if it is built right there is no need for it. It works great!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #539
cjgenever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just don't get how a good seal is being made between the pipe and compression nut. Does the rounded element go in deep enough for the flat sealing washer to contact both surfaces? If so then that is perfect!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #540
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Heatstick = awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgenever View Post
I just don't get how a good seal is being made between the pipe and compression nut

As said above, with Teflon tape and silicon sealant.

The weak link will still be the pipe connection and plumbing nut.

I have made and repaired heat sticks for years, and have found cleaning contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol and sealing with silicon sealant to work pretty darn well, yea nothing lasts forever, but that's why I keep a spare or two ready to go.

Fwiw, I would still coat the electrical connections on the element with silicon sealant as an extra measure. Also, leave the end of the stick open for a few days, as I found out the hard way uncured sealant is a conductor not an insulator.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Quick Reply