Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Heating up coolant lines to bend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
sk888smooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Heating up coolant lines to bend?

Hello all... I'm poppin the cherry and asking about/suggesting my first idea. I have a Upright Freezer with coolant lines in the shelves. I'd like to bend them in order to make room for my kegs.

Has anyone tried a hair dryer to warm up the lines and get them nice and hot for bending? Any rules of thumb besides going slow and trying not to kink the bad boys?

Obviously I'll leave the freezer at room temp until it is completely warmed up, but is a hair dryer to warm up the lines a good idea? Anyone try it?

Thanks

ElginBrewer

Primary: Citra DIPA
Secondary:
Kegged: Barleywine, Hard Cider, Wookey Jack Clone, Encohs's IPA
Next on Deck: English ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Bending old live refer lines, I don't think your going to it without kinking. If you do kink a little, you can take a crescent wrench and use that to get the roundness back. I'd were gloves and eye protection, refer burns suck, it just takes a second. Also find out what kind of coolant is use, in-case it's deadly. I don't think heating it would make it bend any easier, when we braze copper it glows red and still holds it's shape.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I am in the same boat, lines built in to the shelves, havent tried it yet tho. I would suggest using cutters to get the shelf wires away from the tubes and getting a small tubing bender in there. Just a single peice hand one that helps the tubing hold its shape, has a U groove the tubing goes in

Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
AlCophile
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Careful, guys!
I have a small Sanyo fridge, too short for std. kegs. Had same idea, but, too likely to rupture lines, and, coolant may suffocate you. Will try to sell or trade on craigslist. There's more: In this state, and undoubtedly the entire country, before trash collection, you are required to have coolant collected by a tech. This cost me $30 ten years ago. The tech tapes a form to the drained unit, as proof.
So, what do you think will happen when you show up with an illegally-drained unit? One big, fat $$fine$$, probably.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Its all in how you bend them. I used a small butane torch and gloves. You can't get greedy with your bends. I did a diy post when i did mine since I couldn't find any good info on the net. let me see if i can find it.

here we go http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stan...ersion-290876/

Quick Reply