Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Heating element rust, HT/food safe silicone recommendation or other? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heating-element-rust-ht-food-safe-silicone-recommendation-other-191181/)

OEHokie 08-16-2010 01:57 PM

Heating element rust, HT/food safe silicone recommendation or other?
 
Hey,
I've made great progress on my electric brewery, but today I noticed that the base of the heating element is starting to rust. I have run water through the system twice, and dried it off pretty well (or so I thought). I've read several threads on the matter and many people use sacrificial anodes (Aluminum or Magnesium), but I would much rather seal it.

People mentioned using high temperature, food safe silicone sealant and also POR-15. From what I've read online, POR-15 doesn't seem to be food safe (?)...

So, could someone recommend a good sealant?

Should I just not worry about the rusting (I'd imagine the same thing goes on my regular water heater/apartment plumbing). How dangerous is the rust (if at all)? or does it just give a metalic taste?

Thanks,

OE

rocketman768 08-16-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEHokie (Post 2219107)
Should I just not worry about the rusting (I'd imagine the same thing goes on my regular water heater/apartment plumbing). How dangerous is the rust (if at all)? or does it just give a metalic taste?

Thanks,

OE

I don't know about a good high temp food-safe sealant, but rust is definitely bad for brewing. Even scratches in the coating of a stainless steel pot will give you a metallic taste. As far as health, high doses of iron oxide are not well-understood, but are linked to parkinson's and heart issues.

rudy0498 08-18-2010 03:10 PM

I am having the same issue, and am planning to try this before shelling out the $ on that POR-15 stuff:

DAP Aquarium Sealant

Lowes carries it. I've used it in the past to patch cracks in a cooler MLT. It's food safe and has a working temperature of 400 degrees once fully cured. Here is the data sheet from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00000688001.pdf


Personally, I'd rather have to reapply a silicone sealant periodically (if it's even necessary) at $4 a tube, than spend $30+ on the POR-15 stuff.

tdiowa 08-18-2010 04:04 PM

No It Doesn't
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketman768 (Post 2219145)
As far as health, high doses of iron oxide are not well-understood, but are linked to parkinson's and heart issues.

That is the least of your problems if this was actually true.

TD

OEHokie 08-29-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy0498 (Post 2223453)
I am having the same issue, and am planning to try this before shelling out the $ on that POR-15 stuff:

DAP Aquarium Sealant

Lowes carries it. I've used it in the past to patch cracks in a cooler MLT. It's food safe and has a working temperature of 400 degrees once fully cured. Here is the data sheet from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00000688001.pdf


Personally, I'd rather have to reapply a silicone sealant periodically (if it's even necessary) at $4 a tube, than spend $30+ on the POR-15 stuff.

Thanks, yeah I'm going to try this stuff. Have you already/how did it work?

rudy0498 08-30-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEHokie (Post 2245560)
Thanks, yeah I'm going to try this stuff. Have you already/how did it work?

I haven't gotten around to it yet. I plan trying to have it done in time to brew this upcoming weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

-Chris

OEHokie 08-30-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudy0498 (Post 2245959)
I haven't gotten around to it yet. I plan trying to have it done in time to brew this upcoming weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

-Chris

I just used it myself... just so you know, it says it takes 7 days to fully cure to full strength. 24-48 hours for use, but I don't know if that includes

Cheers

ThreeDogsNE 08-30-2010 04:33 AM

White Lightning Silicone Sealant sku 23275-09010 meets FDA regulations for food contact. I think I gave $4 for a 10 ounce tube, a caulking gun size tube. I used it for all four of my heatsticks, with at least 1/3 of the tube left over. I put a generous layer over the base of the heating elements and the zinc plated ring nuts. It takes about a week for it to cure before it stops off-gassing acetic acid, i.e. vinegar. It has held up fine for about a year.

Indian_villager 08-30-2010 05:38 AM

Either that or do the best to sand off the rust.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.