HBT members inspired me: My Keezer Project
Edit: Build started 11.21.09 and completed 12.13.09. Final build cost here. Here's the completed keezer pic:
Well, I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks and this is my first post. I really enjoy all of the amazing DIY projects you guys have come up with on here. So in my travels through the posts, I came across Jester's original keezer thread and WOW! It totally blew me away. This really inspired me to expand beyond my 2 keg day-tap setup in the bottom of the garage beer fridge.
Thus was born, my very own keezer project, which I thought I would share with those that shared with me.
While the majority of my design came from Jester's original post, there are MANY others that continue to help me through this learning process. My duct system is based on Rockybottom's post, lots of posts on Love controllers (like John Beere's kickass ferm cabinets), and on and on.
The project is not done yet, but here is where I've gotten so far. I'll continue to post my progress here and I plan to finish in the next couple of weeks. Sorry for the picture quality, these are from my blackberry.
First, I picked up a Frigidaire 14.8 cu ft on craiglist (8 corney's plus CO2) and some wood. I built a dolly using 2x6s and put in 2 fixed and 2 swivel castors:
Framed up the sides with 2x4s. My overall surface height target is a standard 42" bar height:
I cut the plastic out of the lid interior and found the insulation to be pretty lame. I replaced the insulation and then put a 3/4" piece of plywood on top of the door and a 1/4" piece of plywood on the inside of the door. It's all sandwiched together with 3 1/2" bolts with barbed t-nuts.
I then skinned the front and sides with 1/4" tongue and groove sanded pine (I will do the back once I get the light wiring complete):
I built a hinged access door on one side where the compressor access is:
I'm putting in 4 taps with perlick 525ss faucets:
I'm still waiting on the arrival of the love controller, stainless drip tray, shanks with stainless shrouds, and a few other odds and ends.
I've just started on the coffin. I still need to built the hinged access door on the back, plumb in the shanks, and insulate the duct:
All in all, I'm please with the progress. I have a huge collection of commercial bottle caps that we were thinking about using on the surface as a glassed-in mosaic. I'm not sure, tile or stone seems a lot easier. :)
Anyway, thanks to everyone on this forum for all of your amazing projects that inspired me. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, they are very welcomed. I'll be updating as things progress.
wow nice, i need to get going on mine
The coffin trim and the hatch are now done. Today is staining day.
Just playing with some bottle caps. Still not committed to that idea..
Very nice!:mug: Are you worried about overheating the freezer?
I have a freezer with a Johnson controller but still using picnic taps. I've been bouncing between a collar or a tower/coffin top. I really like Jester's build too. This may be the inspiration I was looking for. A question for you... Does the cabinet knock down? In other words... if you need to move it (not just roll it around), do you have to move it as a unit, or is it possible to get the freezer out?
I second the question of "Are you worried of it over heating?"
I notice that you have the door propped open with a stick, has anyone put shocks on the lids to keep them open, like the hatch of a car. I know my RX-7 had some pretty small shocks for the hatch.
I'd be a bit concerned about the lack of air-flow on the exterior or is the condenser only on the back?
@wildwest450 and david_42
The compressor is on one side at the bottom, behind the side door I put in. This side (and mainly only the lower portion) is the only area that feels even slightly warm to the touch after running the compressor for several hours (from warm to 5 degrees). What I did was I left a 1.5-2" space between the entire outer wall of the freezer, and the outer 1/4" tongue-and-groove pine skinning. I haven't installed them yet, but I have some small electronics fans that will push the air out of these spaces whenever the compressor is running (like a duct). This should alleviate any potential for overheating. The main reason for adding the the side door was to have access to the compressor compartment (the "step" on the inside). Since it's a used freezer, anything could happen, so I wanted to at least have easy access to replace the compressor if needed.
As for propping the door open with the pipe... That picture was before I had permanently fastened the coffin to the top. Now that I have, the weight of the coffin acts as a counter balance to the bar top when opening the door. With the exception of the first 1ft of door-opening, the rest is a breeze, and the door stays open on it's own as originally designed. That may all change if I put a stone top on it. :-)
The freezer is not attached to the dolly or frame. So it could potentially be (somehow) removed from the framing. The lid of course can be unbolded from the freezer.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Today I'm working on wiring in some LEDs to shine down from the coffin trim, as well as doing some staining. I'll post some pics of the progress later.
Wow, that's very nice.
Our bedroom was covered with similar tongue-in-groove pieces, which I took down and replaced with beaded board as they were really showing their age. The backs of the board, however, are in great shape. I plan on doing something similar.
If a design like this can cope with the temperatures, it's probably the way I'll be going.
Thanks for sharing.
In your first three posts you have outdone everything I have done related to homebrewing. Well done! It looks great!
Your call on the bottle caps, but I think the wood stained would looked excellent.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.