Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Happiness is: Home malting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #311
Vann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I could postpone/cancel the trip but I'd rather not to. If the dried barley can survive a month.

Meanwhile the germination continues.
This is the third day since I've put the barley in it's germination bed. Before that I soaked the seeds for two intervals of 8 hours with 8 hours breathing rest in between.
Rootlets doesn't seem to grow long, acrospire seems to be around 60% of the length of the seed.

Here are some photos of the germination bed (I just used whatever I had handy), some of the germinating seeds and a bad macro of the current growth of the acrospire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #312
Vann
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some of the seeds are over-modified, but overall most of them seem OK. I hauled the whole thing upstairs and spread it all on some plastic sheet to dry on the sun.

It's 11am here, sun shining and no clouds on the horizon. :-)
Temperature is 83F, humidity 34%... I wonder if I should point some fans to blow on the seeds.
Here are some photos.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #313
Vann
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Outside temperature is 95 degree Fahrenheit ATM, 4:30pm. Ambient humidity is down to 15%.
So far, so good . I had to move the drying bed a bit, to follow the sun (the terrace looks north).

Seeds look quite dried up, with rootlets all gone dry and brown. There's some residual wetness on the plastic sheet, even though I was mixing the seeds few times while drying.

I'm gonna risk the weather tonight (the prognosis says it shouldn't rain), and leave the malting barley as it is overnight. It seems one more day on the sun should finish the job (if it's not finished already).

Old 08-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #314
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann View Post
Some of the seeds are over-modified, but overall most of them seem OK. I hauled the whole thing upstairs and spread it all on some plastic sheet to dry on the sun.

It's 11am here, sun shining and no clouds on the horizon. :-)
Temperature is 83F, humidity 34%... I wonder if I should point some fans to blow on the seeds.
. . . . .
Looking good, the acrospire inconsistency I believe will be the single most challenging problem with home malting. Rotation along with consistent moisture and temperature throughout from soaking to the end of "couching" phases should fix the problem. Then on to more challenges within the kilning and finishing, etc. (rotation is needed here as well I believe).

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #315
Vann
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Rotation along with consistent moisture and temperature throughout from soaking to the end of "couching" phases should fix the problem. Then on to more challenges within the kilning and finishing, etc. (rotation is needed here as well I believe).
Rotation both ways than. I misunderstood it back there, when I suggested that rolling barrel DIY malting.

COLObrewer, I will be going for some camping the day after tomorrow. I would like very much to brew myself some small batch of homebrew while there. I think I will try to smuggle some brew gear, when my girlfriend is not looking.
Can you suggest some very simple reciepe? Should I go for SMASH? Or something even simpler?

I guess I will kiln small amount of the malt in my oven tonight.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #316
COLObrewer
Recipes 

SMASH is about as simple as you can get.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #317
Vann
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Second day of sun-drying going fine, day is warm and sunny, the ambient humidity is 39%.

I have a important question for you malters here. Can I freeze the malt?
Will the low temps destroy/denature the enzymes?

COLObrewer, any thoughts on freezing the malt idea?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #318
Zibe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I apologize if this has been asked but didn't see it. I am in the germination stage and most of the grain seems to be progressing nicely but out of every handful I look at I have quite a bit that hasn't sprouted at all what kind of germination rate are you guys getting. The barley I bought from the feed store is just a plain brown bag that says barley so no idea what I got. I went three rounds of two hour soak to 8-10 hr air rest as per the beersmith instructions, appreciate any advice.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #319
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Mine sprouts pretty evenly, as with all steps in malting it's imperative to keep the moisture content and temperature consistent throughout the grain bed, the easiest way I've found to accomplish this is my moving the grains, mixing them in the soaking receptacle, mixing them in the couching phase, etc. This carries through after the germination process into the drying/kilning phases as well. It's labor intensive but necessary for consistent product.

Any other speculation on my part would have to come after a description of your processes, if completely manual or any automation is used, etc.

Malt on my friend!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #320
Zibe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Appreciate answering back. During my soak/air rest phases I didn't really stir it around to much. Had a bucket with holes drilled inside a bottling bucket that I would fill for two hours then leave drained for 8-10 hrs. Wondering if the grains at the bottom maybe suffocated without being stirred enough. Makes sense now that I think about it try it different for round two. I guess the moral of the story is keep em moving throughout the whole process you may have mentioned that once or a hundred times guess I should've listened. Awesome thread thank you been wanting to do this for a while.

Quick Reply