Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Happiness is: Home malting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #301
komomos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If a little amount of barley germinated still sufficient to make starch to sugar when mashing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #302
peggjam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, it's been a couple years since this thread was started, where is everybody at with their equipment? Any pics of your equipment would be nice.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #303
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Subscribef very kool project!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #304
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
So, it's been a couple years since this thread was started, where is everybody at with their equipment? Any pics of your equipment would be nice.
My equipment is still waiting for me, life is getting in my way.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #305
woody585
Recipes 

COLObrewer, what do you think about using a lumber kiln to for the drying stage of the barley? I have found some really good ideas for them, some as simple as a well insulated room with plenty of ventilation, a dehumidifier and a space heater.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestBusinesses/kiln.html

Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #306
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody585 View Post
COLObrewer, what do you think about using a lumber kiln to for the drying stage of the barley? I have found some really good ideas for them, some as simple as a well insulated room with plenty of ventilation, a dehumidifier and a space heater.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestBusinesses/kiln.html
Looks promising, as I've said before however, I'd want to devise some way to automatically "turn" the grains. I believe this to be the single most important aspect of any (and all) of the malting phases if one wants a consistent product throughout, should be do-able. Prost!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #307
Vann
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello COLObrewer, you seem to be THE authority on home malting here, and maybe you can help me. I'm trying to do some home malting myself and it seems I'm doing OK so far with the germinating stage. The problem is that mu kiln/drying oats is not finished yet, and even then it will only be able to kiln only a small part of my 150 pounds of barley (it's an old freezer project).

The whole thing is kinda rushed, my untreated barley started having a weevil infestation, so I had to do something with it.
Now I have a 150 pounds of germinating barley, and seemingly only one way to stop the germination. The solar way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
I completed another round of malting (50lbs), this batch took alot less time due to the higher ambient temperatures, 7days total start to finish and all should be modified correctly since I was able to use "solar" drying to initially stop the growing process on all the malt at the same time. I simply stopped watering them when they were fully modified and moved them to the sun while still in the malting "floor"
Which brings me to you. Can you share the specifics, what was the ambient temp. and how much time it was needed to stop the growing process?
Here it's peaking around 95 degree Fahrenheit atm, and it's sunny the whole day this last few weeks. Seems ideal for this. Since you posted in May, I guess it couldn't be warmer than 95 in Colorado than.
Sprouting seems fine so far and it looks like grains should be fully modified soon. I was thinking about bringing the barley on my flat roof tomorrow and spreading it on the sun, if the acrospires are grown big enough.

The main thing I'd like to know is, will I be able to postpone curing the barley for a month after stopping the germination? Or I should cure it in the kiln straight away?

EDIT: First post! I'm lurking here for so long I forgot I never posted here. I never had chance to brew beer since you couldn't find malted barley in my country if your life depended on it. Hence the need for malting my own malt. :-)

Last edited by Vann; 08-18-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Just realized it's my first post here :)
Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #308
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Vann, I believe it was right around 90F during my sun drying. If you can get it halted and dried sufficiently with the sun I believe you can probably wait to further kiln the malt. Personally I would get a large airtight receptacle such as a plastic barrel with the large mouth lid and store the sundried malt there until you need a batch of malt. You can further kiln them as you need them, this is not ideal but we use what we can.

My only other thoughts are maybe some rigid foil sides or "reflectors" to direct sunlight onto the malts, I would imagine with a little effort you can get the desired temperature steps to create some finished pale malt.

This is going to depend greatly on your humidity where you are at.

Malt on my friend.

Vann Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #309
Vann
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Humidity is 52% ATM, would that do?
That's as low as it gets here.

Letting it dry at 90-100F for longer time, will that make for sufficient sugar conversion?
I don't aim strictly for authentic pale malt, anything malt(ish) is success at this time.

Nice idea about the reflectors, I might use some aluminium foil rolls it it's not too windy. I plan to spread the barley as thin as possible, got some very wide plastic sheets ready. That should speed the drying.
The curing for pale malt requires the last couple of hours at 210F, I won't be able to do that without the freezer kiln. That will have to wait, since I'll have to go for a trip.

Why store dried seeds in closed barrel though? To avoid attracting moisture?
But wouldn't the lack of air movement, itself be a cause for molding?
I was planing to use some plastic knitted bags since in those the seeds can aerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Looks promising, as I've said before however, I'd want to devise some way to automatically "turn" the grains. I believe this to be the single most important aspect of any (and all) of the malting phases if one wants a consistent product throughout, should be do-able. Prost!
You could check this guy HomeDistiller's solution. This is what I plan to replicate, already have the barrel and the DC windscreen wiper motor (but I'm stuck on the construction atm):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-41wQHHi0o

Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #310
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann View Post
Humidity is 52% . . . . . . . .
Why store dried seeds in closed barrel though? To avoid attracting moisture?
But wouldn't the lack of air movement, itself be a cause for molding?
I was planing to use some plastic knitted bags since in those the seeds can aerate. . . . . . .
This may be too much humidity for sun drying and storing in airtight containers, (If the malts are sufficiently dry and the containers are air tight you will have no mold) I suggested the container as a means to keep the malts fresh and also keep out bugs, you may HAVE to use a kiln to dry them sufficiently. Is this the humidity year-round? I am in a high desert here and humidity is usually not a problem.

Use whatever means you can and proceed with your plan, you seem to have a logical mind and the means to test your theories. Good luck my friend.

Quick Reply