Hacking the BCS to add customized web pages - done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, this started out as a proof of concept to see if it could actually be done and it worked out awesome. The screen below is not a mock up, but an actual fully functioning screen that updates as you change processes (or manually control outputs). You can also click on the objects in the custom screen to control the outputs.

I know this is going to be a tease just showing you the screen, but I promise I'll get it fully documented and provide the working sample for how you can do this yourself. I'm not a graphics wizard, so my screen is fairly simple, but I'm sure they'll be others here that can come up with some really cool stuff. Please note that this image simply represents how my system is layed out. With a little work, you'll be able to create a custom screen that mimics the layout of your own system. (note the temps show 0 because my rig is not plugged into the BCS at the moment).

Just so you know, Adam at ECC fully supports doing this. He actually is looking to build something like this into the BCS and hopefully by my putting this out here, it will spur some discussions on what people would like out of a custom graphic front end.

(Scroll to post #38 below to see the latest iteration of my touchscreen interface.)

BCS_Custom_Screen.png

The custom BCS home page is modeled to be a representation of my brewing system, but you'll be able to customize it to match your own system.

17787d1289103379-single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-brew_stand_2.jpg

Subscribed.

I'm looking at a slightly different approach. I am working on a program in Delphi(pascal) that will use get/post mechanism to run the BCS. That way I can also provide for timers to prompt for boil additions and other manual events without cluttering up the BCS programs.

Subscribed.

I'm looking at a slightly different approach. I am working on a program in Delphi(pascal) that will use get/post mechanism to run the BCS. That way I can also provide for timers to prompt for boil additions and other manual events without cluttering up the BCS programs.

Chuck - keep me updated on your progress. I too was looking at doing that (in Delphi also :)) . However I'm now thinking of just using an extra process for the hop timers with a hard-wired buzzer attached to the BCS for the alerts. I'm also thinking of making all running timers visible in a list on the home page.

I'm also working on some alternate screen layouts. I'm trying to create an optimized layout for using on a widescreen computer or laptop so that all controls can stay in view.

After I get some code cleaned up, some alternate screen layouts done and write up the documentation, I'll make this available to everyone. I'll shoot for having it done by next weekend (but no guarantees;)).

BCS_Custom_Screen2.png

Actually, I am going to soon put up some screen shots of a complete flash ( Adobe Flex ) version of brewing software. I created a series of services that communicate to the BCS for you, and gather the data. You simply then write the front end in flash. I am actually brewing my first batch of beer using the software as we speak, but look for some screen shots here in the next few days.

It has animated pipes, fancy thermo gauges, and indicators for the different outputs. It all runs on an industrial touchscreen attached to my rig. I finally got it all written, and finished the wiring this weekend. We shall see how it goes, but so far so good!

I want to be able to upload the swf file directly to the box to run it from there rather than loading it from somewhere else, so I am looking forward to how you were able to do that.

Great work on your end as well!

Jim

Jim - that sounds like a very slick solution, but is it going to require anyone that wants their own custom display to need to program it in flash?

Part of my goal here was to make changes that others can do for no cost in additional components and no specialized editing software needed. Sure, a little HTML and/or JS will be needed, but I think that's a going to be a lot easier for folks instead of programming flash.

When I finish my screens and documentation, you'll be able to use my methods for integrating your flash screens into the BCS web pages if you want. However, your flash swf won't be able to reside on the BCS.

Actually, I am going to soon put up some screen shots of a complete flash ( Adobe Flex ) version of brewing software. I created a series of services that communicate to the BCS for you, and gather the data. You simply then write the front end in flash. I am actually brewing my first batch of beer using the software as we speak, but look for some screen shots here in the next few days.

It has animated pipes, fancy thermo gauges, and indicators for the different outputs. It all runs on an industrial touchscreen attached to my rig. I finally got it all written, and finished the wiring this weekend. We shall see how it goes, but so far so good!

I want to be able to upload the swf file directly to the box to run it from there rather than loading it from somewhere else, so I am looking forward to how you were able to do that.

Great work on your end as well!

Jim
make sure you post back to this thread with a link to your thread if you start a new one, I want to see how both of you progress!!

> Jim - that sounds like a very slick solution, but is it going to
> require anyone that wants their own custom display to need
> to program it in flash?

Yes, it will require someone to program in Adobe Flex if they want to use the libraries and do their own custom solution. I am, however, making some basic interfaces to do generic things that may prove useful to someone. For instance I am making a small screen based flash app that provides basic monitoring that is targeted at my android phone.

Mostly I am doing this for my own needs, but figure I will share the results to those who want to use it that may have some geek level of experience. The basic flex compiler is free, although if you want to use the nice tools, you have to pay for it. So this is definitely a geek solution.

That said, my ultimate goal is to really have a professional looking/functioning solution that runs my herms system. I want to just enter the mash temp and choose a profile, and let it run. Ideally, I want to be able to just upload a beersmith file and go, but that may be a bit down the road. I want the pid to control everything, but have a slick front end on flash targeted at my touchscreen ( 800x600 ), and my android phone.

So I believe that we are looking at very different things here... Customizing the built in pages on the BCS looks very cool, and will definitely be a lot more reachable to a variety of people. I just happen to be a software programmer who is a beer geek and loves toys :)....

I will post other updates under a new thread hopefully today. The brew yesterday went perfect, so the software is working.

Jim

I just posted a new thread in this forum with screenshots of my flash stuff so you can go over there to see them if you are interested. Still a work in progress, but I am getting there.

Jim Olsen

OK, I made some progress this weekend with the widescreen formats.

My goal with this is that users will be able to use them and not have to mess with all the table and control formatting and can just get down to business by making their own custom background graphic to be displayed in the "Visual System Status" box and then change coordinates as needed for the red/green/grey status LED's.

Yes, this will take a little HTML work, but it will not be monumentaly difficult.

Here are the widescreen samples. Note that these images are scaled to be 1024px wide for viewing only. The originals are between 1300 - 1400 pixels wide and much clearer images.

With round thermometers all on one line.
BCS_Control_Screen_Rev_06.png

With digital thermos.
BCS_Control_Screen_Rev_05.png

JonW,

I just suggested to Clifwlkr that if you both edit your original posts and include links to the others thread folks could easily find both and keep up with the progress. This is really cool stuff. I can hardly wait to see your write up.

Ed

I just posted a new thread in this forum with screenshots of my flash stuff so you can go over there to see them if you are interested. Still a work in progress, but I am getting there.

Jim Olsen

JonW,

I just suggested to Clifwlkr that if you both edit your original posts and include links to the others thread folks could easily find both and keep up with the progress. This is really cool stuff. I can hardly wait to see your write up.

Ed

Here's the link to Jim's flash based screens: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/flash-based-bcs-control-210164/

☼

Status update.....

This is working great and I hope during the holiday break that I will be able to finish the documentation so others can set this up as well.

I've done a few different screen layouts so you can do a basic mod with just adding a custom screen or you can switch to wide screen versions that let you see/use all your controls without scrolling up/down. The multiple formats will be included.

This is awesome!
I'll be getting mine in a few days, an am watching this closly!

I'm getting closer on the instructions. I worked on it a bit over the holidays and cleaned up some of what I had done, but family activities kept me from getting it completed. It shouldn't be long now.

ps: the wide screen layouts shown above are working really nice on my 1920x1080 laptop. Everything in one view with no scrolling!

I'm sorry guys, I've started on the docs and haven't finished. I'll try to work on it this week.

I brewed two batches Saturday and had a local guy (also on the forum here) come over to help and I was telling him how I need to document this so I can put it out there for everyone. I'm now running it on a touchscreen which is working well.

Any more progress? I'm very interested to see your documents on this

You know, I sent the docs off to a couple of people who wanted to set it up and I guess it was a bit too technical. This isn't a plug and play setup, but I didn't think it was that difficult to do.

Also, Adam at ECC is working to incorporate the concept into the base product, but I think that will be a while.

I'll post up what I have and maybe someone else with more time can set it up and then do a better step by step write up to help others.

JonW said:
You know, I sent the docs off to a couple of people who wanted to set it up and I guess it was a bit too technical. This isn't a plug and play setup, but I didn't think it was that difficult to do.

Also, Adam at ECC is working to incorporate the concept into the base product, but I think that will be a while.

I'll post up what I have and maybe someone else with more time can set it up and then do a better step by step write up to help others.

Please send them to me I would love to play around with it. It is probably too technical for me too but I would love to give it a try! I love how you rearranged the pages so you view it all at once. That's a big improvement.

Why not just post it here and let everyone play around with it?

Michael

Here's the latest version I've been running for several months. If the pic isn't completely clear, it's because it was scaled down from 1920x1080 resolution to fit here on the screen.

BCS_1920x1080_sm.png

For those that had previously followed this thread and wanted further information on how to do this.... I apologize for taking so long to do this. The documentation for this is not at all what I consider complete and I would have liked to spend some time polishing this up, but the time just isn't there. Instead of not ever publishing anything, I thought I would put up what I have and just field questions here.

So, here is a download file that includes my customized versions of the js and html files to get the customized UI. The included PDF explains some of what is being done, but it is a very rough document. Likewise, some of the sample files are not as polished as I'd like them to be so some of the HTML elements don't line up perfect. The best examples to use in the file are the 1920x1080 touch screen ones (touch screen not required) like pictured in the post above.

File download: http://www.surfcitybrewing.com/download/BCS-Mods-JonW.rar

Back