Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #501
jwilusmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to contribute my results, in case they would help anyone. I have a Haier 7.1 cf freezer (HNCM070E) that I picked up used last week, and I've been going through the process of tweaking the thermostat.

After turning the coarse adjustment screw 19 times, clockwise, the compressor shuts off around 40-41 degrees, and turns on roughly around 48-50. I've had water in it for the last 10 hours, sitting at just above 40 degrees. I hope this helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #502
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How can I find out if I ruined my freezer by making this adjustment or just need to readjust something?

My Frigidaire 5 cubic foot freezer now struggles to get around 50 degrees when it used to stay right around freezing after making the adjustment.

It does have an area along the upper left wall that builds up an area of ice along the upper back leftside wall which is above the compressor area. I unplugged it the other night in case something was frozen and removed my temperature controiller, but so far no luck getting it cold again.

Which way do I need to turn my frigidaire cooler to make it colder? I thought I adjusted it correctly since it previously was turning at right at cold level 3 or so, but now turns on immediately, so I assume adjusted it in the right direction.

Any thoughts? My German Altbier I just kegged is nowhere near cold enough for lagering.

Hoping this didn't ruin my freezer or compressor.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #503
akillys
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This does not work on my Kenmore 15 as there is no adjustment screw.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 AM   #504
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for this thread! I'm exciting to tweak my frigidaire chest freezer and get kegging! I already found the coarse adjustment screw (popped off the knob and it was right in the face).

Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #505
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My freezer is now crapping out. I am not sure if it was due to this method, or just buying an old one off craigslist. My freezer hovers at around 52-56 degrees and won't go any colder and it has an ice patch near the top.

I was told the ice patch represents a crack in the freezer lines from stressing the tubing during thermal cycling. I will use it until it dies for the time being, but will be looking for a new one soon. I know there are some models that go slightly above freezing and that will be my plan.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #506
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 309

thanks for this thread! i just modified a magic chef wine cooler (basically a mini fridge with a glass door). i found the coarse adjustment screw. if you're looking for it, you'll find it on the left side of the thermostat once you have it out of the plastic housing. a picture is below.

the screw you want is the small one above the little 'window' where you can see the spring.

turn to the LEFT for colder, RIGHT for warmer.

there is a second screw on the front. i assume this is for the range, but i haven't messed with it yet.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #507
KindofBlues71
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Last night I did this mod on my old Kenmore chest freezer (built in 2000, 3rd owner), turning the coarse adjustment screw clockwise all the way in. I checked the temp this morning and it was 41F. I put my keg and CO2 tank inside and can officially call it a keezer now! Many thanks!

I've attached a pic of what the thermostat looks like on my 14 yr old freezer. The arrow points to the piece of tape covering the coarse adjustment screw.

freezer-thermostat.jpg  

Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #508
KindofBlues71
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Looks like I spoke too soon! With the screw all the way in my freezer gets up to 56F. When I back off the screw a half turn it cools down to 33F. I'll keep messing with it but I can't seem to get it to stay in the 40's.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #509
kupermanp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just got a Kenmore 8.8cf black freezer and did the adjustment. The screw is behind some tape at the top to the thermostat.

I like my beer cold (36 degrees). I turned the screw 6.5 turns clockwise and its been holding steady with 2 five gallon kegs inside and the thermometer in a 16oz glass of water.

13997368277_5d72601a7c_m.jpg   14180698971_3830487a2d_m.jpg   13997397690_6cb1b2e0d7_n.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #510
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Has anyone tried this with a Kenmore Wine fridge model 461.99610? It doesn't get any colder that 7c, I'd like to get it down to 1c for lagering. I am using an external stc-1000 so I spliced to probe's incoming and outgoing wires together to bypass it alltogether.

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Quick Reply