Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #491
JwmPT
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some times freezer temperature can fluctuate widely when the freezer is not full enough. After putting on the collar, did you fill the freezer once your build was done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #492
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel View Post
Just got a Maytag 14.8 freezer (model MQC1552TEW) from Home Depot. Fits 9 ball locks on the floor and a 5# bottle on the corner compressor hump. The thermostat is on the right side of the unit and is super easy to access (two small screws). Once the thermostat unit is out, pop off the plastic knob and just use some pliers to slightly loosen (1/8th turn) the silver nut holding it in place in the plastic housing to get the actual thermostat unit free. The small screw is on the top of the unit (opposite end of the two plugs shown in the picture). It took me 12 turns clockwise to basically dial it into a 40 degree setting with the big knob set between 4 and 5. I might fine tune further, but this is good for now.

Thanks so much to the OP. You just saved me some serious loot. Vote for sticky on this one!
I have this same model, and with a little fiddling, I've been holding a pretty steady 37-38 in my new keezer using just the coarse adjust (and the regular, fine-adjust to dial it in) for nearly a month now. I think I'm satisfied that it is now dialed in at that temp, so I'm pretty sure there'll be no need for an external controller.

Thanks to the OP for getting this started (and letting me know this concept even existed), and mmonacel for being the guinea pig on this model

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #493
harry_the_face
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Just an fyi.... I did this to a small chest freezer that i as going to use as a Fermentation chamber. With screw all the way in the warmest i could make it was 55 f. A little col for my ales but usable for lagers. I plan to install a digital thermostat so i can keep it at precise temp.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #494
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Yeah, my understanding of the coarse adjustment is that it may not provide enough stability in the temperature for proper fermentation. A bit of a swing in a kegerator is no big deal, as there's a lot more thermal mass in there, and if packaged beer varies a little bit in temp it's no big deal. But you really want precise control over the temperature that your actively fermenting yeast experience. For fermenting, a digital controller is well worth it.

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #495
Skep18
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone have an specific photos of how to do this properly to a GE 7.0 cf chest freezer? I have ordered the GE unit, but not received it yet. Wondering if its worth doing this vs buying a temp controller. It will be a keezer, not a ferm chamber.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #496
Jupapabear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well I did my side by side kenmore fridge and freezer last night, and from what I've read it should pretty easy for you too. The part you are looking for is connected to the daily for adjusting the temp. Mine was a little hidden, but I just looked for where the wires we heading and sure enough it lead me there.

Primary: Yoop's Pale Ale
Kegged Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Kegged Bell's Two Hearted IPA Clone
Recently Bottled: Russian Imperial Stout
Up Next: Deception Cream Stout, Ed's Haus

Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #497
dcchiefcat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDego View Post
Worked Great! Was able to lower the water temp below 40. Fantastic! Thanks for the post!
I'm also trying to LOWER the temp in my Danby DBC120BLS to keep my beers colder. Can you elaborate a little on how you did that... where do I look for the screw? Which way did you turn?

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #498
Skep18
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupapabear View Post
Well I did my side by side kenmore fridge and freezer last night, and from what I've read it should pretty easy for you too. The part you are looking for is connected to the daily for adjusting the temp. Mine was a little hidden, but I just looked for where the wires we heading and sure enough it lead me there.
But a lot of people are claiming they can't get it warm enough without a controller. Reading almost this whole tgread, very few are confirming this works on the majority of chest freezers.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #499
Jupapabear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I replaced my thermostat with the STC-1000. Now my freezer is at perfect serving temps. I eventually plan on adding another controller to use a fan and heating element and use the fridge as my controlled fermentation chamber.

Primary: Yoop's Pale Ale
Kegged Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Kegged Bell's Two Hearted IPA Clone
Recently Bottled: Russian Imperial Stout
Up Next: Deception Cream Stout, Ed's Haus

Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #500
harry_the_face
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I think it would work on any freezer or fridge. With mine screwed all the way in the freezer would cone on at about 58 deg and turn off at 55 deg. So if I backed it out you could definitely get it to keezer serving temp. A fridge works a bit different so if you got the freezer to serving temp the fridge would be to warm. For a free mod it is well worth it. For more precise temp control use the STC-1000 for less than $20.

I installed the STC-1000 digital controller in place of the dial thermostat in my freezer tonight and found that it was way easier than I thought it would be. All the wiring was already there just had to figure out what went where. I used the wires for the light to power the STC-1000, and the 2 wires from the dial thermostat for the cooling side of the controller. I have not hooked up the heating side yet but I will when I put the ferm chamber in the garage. During the winter in Eastern Oregon I will need a heating pad to keep things right.
Over the past few hours I have seen that it cools it about 1.5 deg below the target temp and gets about 0.5 above target temp before it turns on (I have it set at 0.5 off set). That is with and empty freezer so I am sure it will get better with a 6 gal carboy in it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply