Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #441
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice! I only had to pop off the knob and there it was on the dial face.

image-4112943530.jpg   image-1252836879.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #442
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurryEyed View Post
I see! You must have the blue 419. The grey 419 install involved splicing into your existing wiring. I agree the plug/play option is good, but still $80. The temperature fluctuation of 5 degrees is concerning, but hasn't caused issue for me.

Sorry, I hate stirring up a ruckus!! My bad guys, let's keep the positive karma a flowin
Ed - you should try one if you have a chance - you can set temperature variance to one degree if you want, and if you shop a little, you can get it for +- $60. Still a little extra change, but not too bad!!
Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone
brewmcq Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #443
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

There have not been any complaints that I can see for the "cheap" ebay controller. The only problems with them listed on here are when someone uses the wrong gauge wire. And you can set the variance in temp to whatever you want. Irreguardless this thread is about saving cash and adjusting the temp the easy and even cheaper way. The previous poster showed how easy his was and on my cheapo home depot freezer it was a couple of screws and I had access. My temp varies between 37-39 so I am happy with that.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #444
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So I've been adjusting the screw for a while now and managed to get the freezer to control in the 30's or so. I have had a couple problems though. First, at set point, the compressor seems to turn on for about 15 seconds, and then turn off for only a couple minutes before it turns back on again. Not really sure what to do about these short cycles. Another thing I noticed is that occasionally after turning the set screw, sometimes the freezer will just never cycle on. If I turn the screw some more, it all of a sudden works again. I've noticed this last problem a few times a different settings. Has anyone else experienced this and maybe has a solution? It's been over a week and I still can't get it to function right. I have a Kenmore 7.2 cu ft. freezer if that helps. I posted pictures a few posts back. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #445
Sparticusbrewer22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboynate2005 View Post
Tried twice with my holiday and it is setting at 46 right now. The screw is on the bottom under the sticker and I ended up turning mine clockwise. Just need to fine tune now. Guess I will us my aquarium controller on a fermentation chamber. Thanks for the heads up.
You just saved me SO much trouble by telling me it would be under that sticker... I have a Holiday 7.0cf freezer and was about to turn the screw on the top lol. You saved me from potentially killing this project and I appreciate that.

I'm guessing that Holiday uses the same gadget in all their freezers (that does save on costs...) so just feel under that sticker for her soft underbelly and dig in. The goods are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnies View Post
Education eliminates ignorance, but it does not quell bull headed pride. S.
There's always money in the banana stand

-Fermentor: Satinugal IPA (Lagunitas clone)
-Fermentor: Best Brown Out (Ithica' Nut Brown clone)
-Fermentor: O2, CO2, N2 and friends
-Bottled: Last few weeks of college life...
-Bottled: JOAM (FINALLY!!)
spaceboytom Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #446
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just bought a 5.2 Holiday chest freezer. Should I buy a Ranco or do this little twisting? Id love to save the cash but how much luck are people having by doing this on the Holidays? I dont want to break anything and am a little nervous about adjusting this on a brand new freezer for I would maybe want to use it later for actual freezing purposes (yeah right haha). Sparticus, you said that the screw is under the sticker? I will hold off on the Ranco purchase for now! Talk me into this!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #447
BlurryEyed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn View Post
Just bought a 5.2 Holiday chest freezer. Should I buy a Ranco or do this little twisting? Id love to save the cash but how much luck are people having by doing this on the Holidays? I dont want to break anything and am a little nervous about adjusting this on a brand new freezer for I would maybe want to use it later for actual freezing purposes (yeah right haha). Sparticus, you said that the screw is under the sticker? I will hold off on the Ranco purchase for now! Talk me into this!
It's completely reversible, just mark your start point and do 1/4-1/2 turns til you get it dialed in just right. Remember to use the glass/jug of water test to ensure you don't dip below freezing. Have at it brotha!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #448
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It doesnt put any stress on a brand new compressor/freezer by turning the set screw like that? I guess if anything it would be less stress because it wouldnt have to get as cold as intended maybe?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #449
BlurryEyed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn View Post
It doesnt put any stress on a brand new compressor/freezer by turning the set screw like that? I guess if anything it would be less stress because it wouldnt have to get as cold as intended maybe?
I think you just answered your own question...

Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #450
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Does anyone have any input on if the Holiday freezers cranked down on the set screws can stay above freezing?

Quick Reply