Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #421
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post

Have you recently moved your freezer then this happened (level makes a difference)? If not the thermostat is probably bad.
Nope.

It was in a spot for a while with a temp controller on it. I did the mod in the same spot since it was using my fermentation controller. It worked great for a long while holding at 40°F, then froze everything solid one day.

It still works fine as a freezer and I have plans to build it a collar and get a cheaper analog Johnson controller for it..... Right in line with my plans to finish building a bigger fermentation chamber and the stainless brew stand I am starting.

No worries here. Glad this mod seems to be working for most people.

MT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #422
Crockus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well I just picked up a 5cu ft holiday from lowes today. Made the adjustment, turned screw all the way in. Put a 5 gallon bucket of water in there. Keeping my fingers crossed it wont be frozen tomorrow morning.

Update: Did this mod on friday. Its working great so far keeps the beer about 38-40 degrees which is where I like it.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #423
spm19713
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This post saved me >$50! Thank you!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #424
DrunkenWeasel
Cold Beer and a Hot Wife
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've taken a photo of the thermostat in my True keggerator (attached). I've been able to find a coarse adjustment on two other freezers I have, but have been unsuccessful locating one on this. The thermostat is manufactured by Danfoss, and is set just a little too cold for my liking. Can anyone verify that this model of thermostat has a coarse adjustment on it?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100776&stc=1&d=1360723 627

danfoss-thermostat.jpg  

Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #425
Unearthly
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Has anyone been able to the GE 5cu ft freezer to work using this method? I tried it the other day but was only able to get my freezer to 20 degrees F. I am going to keep tinkering with it but just wanted to know if anyone got it to work. Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #426
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenWeasel View Post
I've taken a photo of the thermostat in my True keggerator (attached). I've been able to find a coarse adjustment on two other freezers I have, but have been unsuccessful locating one on this. The thermostat is manufactured by Danfoss, and is set just a little too cold for my liking. Can anyone verify that this model of thermostat has a coarse adjustment on it?
Are you measuring air temperature in the kegerator or the actual beer temperature when you say that it's too cold? Can you see the thermostat probe or does it appear to be inserted into the evaporator coil?

The reason for these questions is that TRUE commercial coolers use a thermostat that monitors the actual evaporator coil temperature during operation. The evaporator is allowed to drop to well below freezing during the cooling cycle. Once the evaporator set temperature is reached, the compressor is cycled off until the probe reads a fixed temperature above freezing and then the cycle begins again. This scheme is used in order to allow the evaporator to defrost for each cycle. You can not use air temperature to determine set temperature, actual beer temperature must be used. The resulting beer temperature is basically an average of the set and fixed temperature.

I would suspect that TRUE kegerators operate the same way.
Big Breasted Blonde
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Re-a-Ranger IPA

Next Up:
An Amber of some sort

Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #427
McDego
Recipes 

Default Need to LOWER temp.

Do you think this would work to LOWER the temperature in my Danby DBC120BLS? It's definitely not getting cold enough.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #428
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDego View Post
Do you think this would work to LOWER the temperature in my Danby DBC120BLS? It's definitely not getting cold enough.
It will not hurt it.. Just start turning it till the compressor comes on.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #429
BlurryEyed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDego View Post
Yes, it will work.

In the long run...we could all be lowering the lifespan of our fridges, making them work harder to get colder. But hey, tis the price we pay for cold brew! I seriously doubt it would break anything in the immediate present.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #430
McDego
Recipes 

Worked Great! Was able to lower the water temp below 40. Fantastic! Thanks for the post!

Quick Reply