New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #401
cheezmoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think the two black wires are the ones you're looking for though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #402
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'll give it a shot.

Do you think I should just use electrical tape to tape the two plugs on the black wires together, or would it be better to cut off the plugs, strip some insulation back and twist the wires together and then tape?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #403
cheezmoe
Recipes 

I think you will have to put one black wire on each terminal in your new digital thermometer. The thermostat acts as a set of contacts and basically acts like a switch. When the thermostat has a need for cooling, it closes those contacts and connects those wires together internally and when it reaches the preset temp it opens the contacts or disconnects the two wires. Again, without looking at the print I would be speculating but I think if you tie the two black wires together your compressor will run all the time.

To answer your original question, I would put a horseshoe connector or ring terminal on the wire and then on the screw on the t state cause stranded wire is very difficult to wrap around a screw and tighten. You dont want to take the chance of burning your house down do you?

Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #404
aggieactuary
Recipes 

I wasn't clear. I'm going to connect an outlet to the stc-1000. I'll plug the freezer into the outlet to control the freezer temp that way.

I was just asking how I should connect the original thermostat leads to act as a bypass. I think I'll probably use a crimp or twist wire cap.

I tested the bypass out (by just electrical taping the two lead plugs together), and it worked!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #405
nubrewer82
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone done this with an Igloo chest freezer? Picked up a 7.2cu ft from Best Buy and i'm going to attempt to fiddle with the course set screw (assuming there is one.)

If anyone knows this works already i'd appreciate the response. If not, I will post pictures assuming I can make it work.

This particular Freezer has 2 sections on the fine control knob on the front. One section is labeled Refrigerate and one labeled Freeze. It has settings for both sections, and the knob clicks a little when you move between sections.

I've got it cranked as warm as it will go right now (allegedly as warm as 10C according to the manual.) But I don't have any thermal mass in there cool enough to get a proper reading yet with my digi.

I will edit this post whichever way it works out.

EDIT: It was just as easy as any of the other ones I saw in this thread. Faceplate for the fine control knob popped right out the front with a few clips holding it in place. Set screw was just on the end of the thermostat mechanism, with enough flex room in the tube to allow me to pull the whole contraption out the front and adjust the screw without being worried about breaking anything. I cranked it down about 2 turns. Going to let it settle and see what my digi reads inserted into a water bottle on the compressor hump.

Took all of about 30 seconds to fiddle with it. Thanks for the great thread, made this easy to do and saved me some money!!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #406
spannaflicka
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieactuary

Is that yes to all three questions?
Yes and yes the two grounds I just joined together

Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #407
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Does anyone know if you can do this with a side by side fridge/freezer. My understanding is there is only one compressor, on the freezer side, and the fridge regulates temp by blowing cold air over from the freezer side. seems to me, you could use the internal thermo on the freezer side to regulate up temp (so I can make a keezer), then blow the air across to the fridge (aka, fermentation chamber), where I will install a hot/cold love controller to dial in the ferm temps.

thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #408
aggieactuary
Recipes 

My understanding is there are two thermostats: one for turning the compressor on and off and one for opening and closing a damper.

Not sure if they'd both have the coarse adjustment screw.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #409
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieactuary View Post
My understanding is there are two thermostats: one for turning the compressor on and off and one for opening and closing a damper.

Not sure if they'd both have the coarse adjustment screw.
thats what I figured. So, could you adjust the control for the freezer, to run at fridge temps, and add a temp control to manage the movement of cold air into the fridge side (for ale fermentation temp range)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #410
Inkleg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 49

A big Thanks to all who have posted here with information.
After reading the entire thread I turned the course screw clockwise 6 turns on my Kenmore 8.8 cu ft. It has settled at 40 degree pours.

Quick Reply