Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #391
aggieactuary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieactuary
I tried this method on a used Whirlpool EHL151FXRQ00 LO.

It went clockwise first and it seemed to just get colder. It went well below 0 F. So, I went counterclockwise a little at a time, waiting about an hour between a few rotations. I ended up loosening the spring.

It was a major pain to get it attached again. I essential had to dismantle the whole mechanism and put it back together. After fighting with it for a couple of hours I finally got it back together.

Literally the moment I got the final piece back in place, a wire/tube broke. I don't know what it is. Can anyone tell what this is?

It seems to be some kind of tube since its hollow. I'm afraid it's a pretty bad situation.

Any help?
I figured it out, I think. It's the tube that holds the gas. I'm guessing that means it can't be repaired, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #392
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will my freezer run with the hollow gas tube broken?

I haven't plugged it back in since I broke it, because I'm afraid something will blow.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #393
cheezmoe
Recipes 

That tube is the capillary tube that is filled with refrigerant. The purpose for this is that it measures temperature on the inside of the refrigerator by expanding or contracting in that tube. In turn, puts pressure on the disc looking thing which is a diaphragm that regulates the temp inside the space. Unfortunately you will need to replace the entire freezestat/thermostat if that tube becomes broken or kinked. This is not to difficult, just be careful when you insert the temp bulb into the evaporator. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #394
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think I'd be able to replace the thermostat without step by step instructions.

I don't have the foggiest idea how to go about it, where to buy parts, what I'd need, etc.

I got the freezer cheap on Craigslist. I may just chalk this up to hands on education.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #395
cheezmoe
Recipes 

Before you chalk it up to a bad learning experience, try a few things first.
Different refrigerators use different temp control, to find out which one you have, follow that capillary tube to see where it goes. Some of the tubes on the new refrigerators are located at a place inside the cooled space and are very easy to replace. The other and older models the capillary tone actually monitors the evaporator temp and are a little more difficult to replace.
Parts are very easy to come by on the internet and that should be under $30.00 all you need is the make and model which can be found usually on the inside of the refrigerator door jam or somewhere at the top on the inside.
A good place to find part's on the net is searspartsdirect.com or a host of other places, just Google refrigerator replacement parts.
Don't give up man, you can do it.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #396
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, your encouragement worked.

I actually checked last night and found the temperature control thermostat replacement part. The lowest I found is $50. Sears Parts Direct has it for $70.

I have a Whirlpool freezer built in 2006; the model is EHL151FXRQ00. Here is the part (# 4-35940-001): http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Control-Thermostat/435940001/1938882?modelNumber=EHL151FXRQ00

Can you tell from that if it's the easy replacement or not?

I'll check tonight if I can tell where the capillary tube goes.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #397
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It just occurred to me. I have an STC-1000 that I ordered recently (in case the manual adjustment didn't work).

Can I just bypass the freezer thermostat and use the digital thermostat?

If so, do I just connect the two wires connected to the thermostat?

There are also two green wires connected to the same plug (different from the two black wires above) on the thermostat. I'm guessing those are grounds, right?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #398
spannaflicka
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieactuary
It just occurred to me. I have an STC-1000 that I ordered recently (in case the manual adjustment didn't work).

Can I just bypass the freezer thermostat and use the digital thermostat?

If so, do I just connect the two wires connected to the thermostat?

There are also two green wires connected to the same plug (different from the two black wires above) on the thermostat. I'm guessing those are grounds, right?
That's what I did works a treat!!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #399
aggieactuary
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannaflicka

That's what I did works a treat!!
Is that yes to all three questions?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #400
cheezmoe
Recipes 

It should work, I would look at the wiring diagram before making any assumptions about the green wires being grounds cause typically thermostats/freezestats do not need grounding. I think that thermostat is just a normally open set of contacts and close on a call for cooling. You should be able to find the print on line where you found the part.

Quick Reply