Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #361
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

So I just bought all the stuff to make 2 two keg keezers from the Beverage Factory.

I was planing on buying the 5 or 7 CU Chest freezers from Home Depot (THEY ARE THE SAME PRICE $178)... I took kegs and a table top that I am going to use as a bar to size them. I purchased two of the non-digital Johnson Controls but If I can get away from using them it will drop my cost...

DPB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #362
Docthorjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks a lot for this thread... I converted an old fridge into a fermentation chamber. Temperature is stable at 18°C. This summer, all my batches ended perfectly, not like last summer were my fermentation temperature was too high and my beers ended tasting banana or Skittles!
Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #363
Charlieatthedisco
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hey guys, I only had time to read about five pages each way on this amazing thread but was wondering if anyone has had success with this on the lowes holiday 7.0 freezer? I just purchased one and will be here today.
Thanks

Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #364
Charlieatthedisco
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Cancel that, just read midway though the thread and apparently it does not work with the holiday freezers.... I guess it's a temp controller for me then

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #365
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieatthedisco
Hey guys, I only had time to read about five pages each way on this amazing thread but was wondering if anyone has had success with this on the lowes holiday 7.0 freezer? I just purchased one and will be here today.
Thanks
I did it on the 5cft holiday freezer. Don't see why it would be any different for 7cft one.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #366
BrewIndy
Recipes 

Another success story. Working like a champ for me. I had turn turn mine clockwise to make the temp go up.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #367
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just started experimenting on my chest freezer, a Frigidaire 7.2 cft from the 90s. I was confused at first where the screw was but found it and luckily had an eyeglass screwdriver that worked. The walls of the freezer are somewhere in the high 20s but the glass of water is cooling down to the high 40s. The freezer is running less often than before so I have some hope. I'm so impatient that I needed to post about it.

EDIT: Success, it's in the mid 40s but I can use the fine adjustment to drop that down.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #368
NEBrewer
Recipes 

Hmm.
I have made just adjustement and now I can not get my compressor to fire. I just got hold of a CL 2001 Kenmore 7 footer and tested it with a trial run and charting of 3 days. Empty this old chest freezer held 0 degrees +/- 5degrees. After the trial I shut it down and began planning a keezer build, Fantastic right , so why not try this coasrse screw adjustment, right.

It was was no problem finding the set screw and making the adjustment (five turns clockwise), after the adjustment the compressor hasn't fired. Over the last two days I have eased the set screw back ( 1/2 turn each time) to the original setting with a few to over night hours waits each time that I made an adjustment to see if cooling would catch with each backing off of the screw. No Go.

Any thoughts on why I would have run into to this hick-up? (aside) I am pretty good with appliances and there repair and took care to avoid shorts, mis calculating the number of adjustment turns, and any blending of the thermocouple tube. I didn't want to botch this... So now it is at room temp. and I really wish I had left it alone. Now I am thinking I'll call a repair service.

Ugh no ice in Massachusetts

Cheers,

kenmore-7.jpg   kenmore-7a.jpg  

Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #369
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have an older sears model chest freezer, it has a thermostat with a dial on it, and it seems to suggest that turning clockwise is colder and counter is warmer. There was a piece sticking out on the dial to prevent you from going above 7 or below 1 for the settings, which I bent up slightly to allow me to freely turn the dial as much as I want. Have most people been turning clockwise to warm there freezers? I took the dial off and there is no screw, but a piece smaller brass piece that may be attached to a screw. Do I even have the right part out? Here's some pics:

keezer.thermo.jpg   kezzer.thermo2.jpg   keezer.thermo3.jpg  

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #370
spannaflicka
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After running this method for a month or so I've gone to a stc1000. I was having issues with carb levels and keg temp would swing from -2c to 8c. I wired it as a direct replacement for the old one and is working like a charm. Good luck to all those trying this way. Cheers

Quick Reply