Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #311
2DogsBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If your thermostat is ~ 38F, what temp is your kegged beer keeping upon dispense?

I sure am gonna miss her....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #312
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DogsBrewing View Post
If your thermostat is ~ 38F, what temp is your kegged beer keeping upon dispense?
Hi

Room temperature glassware, first pour, warm room (80F), a minute or two to the table. Most of mine measure out in the vicinity of 43 to 46 degrees.

Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #313
ave8tor
Recipes 

Default Temp control help!

Holiday 7 cu ft bought from Lowes last weekend. Read this thread before I purchased in the hopes it would work. Unfortunately, I have adjusted the screw all the way in, and all the way out (or almost all the way), with the fine adjustment screw at both 1 and 7. Every setting still freezes water inside. Posted pictures of my thermostat below. The screw that I have been adjusting is on the top of the thermostat. I've looked all over for another one, but no luck. Any help?

photo_1.jpg   photo_2.jpg   photo_3.jpg  

Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #314
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8tor View Post
Holiday 7 cu ft bought from Lowes last weekend. Read this thread before I purchased in the hopes it would work. Unfortunately, I have adjusted the screw all the way in, and all the way out (or almost all the way), with the fine adjustment screw at both 1 and 7. Every setting still freezes water inside. Posted pictures of my thermostat below. The screw that I have been adjusting is on the top of the thermostat. I've looked all over for another one, but no luck. Any help?
That is not the screw. It is on the other side -- on the bottom -- underneath the tape.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #315
jamboparty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

Yes that is the magic screw you are after. Run it out a couple turns and see what happens.

Bob
Just to follow up... I finally got a chance to play around with this the other day. Freezer is currently running at a steady 36.3º F

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #316
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

A related question:

I'm pretty sure that compressors for freezers are not supposed to cycle too often. I think the standard advice is that the compressor should not turn back on for at least 5 minutes after turning off. Correct?

If a freezer has electronic control, they can program this in, but for mechanical thermostats, I assume they just rely on the mechanical hysteresis of the thermostat. Correct?

I'm controlling my freezer with an external temp controller, and which has adjustable hysteresis. Also, the real hysteresis of the system can be adjusted by adjusting the thermal mass of the sensor (strapping it to a keg etc.). I would like to mimic the hysteresis of the factory configuration, so that I don't wear my freezer out too fast. I just don't know what I should be shooting for. Some people report hysteresis of as much as 20 degrees, but again, it just depends what you measure, because the air temperature is going to swing WAY more than the kegs. I think a better way to quantify hysteresis is how often the freezer kicks on and then how long it runs when it does.

For those who are using mechanical thermostats, how often does the freezer cycle on, and when it does cycle on, how long does it run, and then how long does it stay off? If I know that, then I can adjust my temp controller to match, either by adjusting the controller itself or modifying what I strap the sensor to.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #317
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 78 Posts

Interesting thread, thanks for expanding my knowledge. It's probably obvious to most, but I'll say it anyway: this technique is most appropriate for holding conditioned beer at serving temps. I can't see myself spending 2 days adjusting to raise the temp 10 degrees in the middle of a lager ferment.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #318
spannaflicka
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense
A related question:

I'm pretty sure that compressors for freezers are not supposed to cycle too often. I think the standard advice is that the compressor should not turn back on for at least 5 minutes after turning off. Correct?

If a freezer has electronic control, they can program this in, but for mechanical thermostats, I assume they just rely on the mechanical hysteresis of the thermostat. Correct?

I'm controlling my freezer with an external temp controller, and which has adjustable hysteresis. Also, the real hysteresis of the system can be adjusted by adjusting the thermal mass of the sensor (strapping it to a keg etc.). I would like to mimic the hysteresis of the factory configuration, so that I don't wear my freezer out too fast. I just don't know what I should be shooting for. Some people report hysteresis of as much as 20 degrees, but again, it just depends what you measure, because the air temperature is going to swing WAY more than the kegs. I think a better way to quantify hysteresis is how often the freezer kicks on and then how long it runs when it does.

For those who are using mechanical thermostats, how often does the freezer cycle on, and when it does cycle on, how long does it run, and then how long does it stay off? If I know that, then I can adjust my temp controller to match, either by adjusting the controller itself or modifying what I strap the sensor to.
Mine will run for 15mins then shut of for ruffly 2 1/2 hrs

Cheers

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #319
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

Sweet; thanks for the info. Right now my system runs for 4 minutes then stays off for about a half-hour. I think I will add some hysteresis by putting the temp sensor in a glass of water and see how that goes.

Anyone else have another data point?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #320
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm wanting to try this on my Holiday 5.0 freezer but am nervous about freezing my kegs that I currently have inside it. I'm controlling the temp right now with an ebay temp controller, but I need to steal it for my new fermentation fridge. What is my risk is freezing my kegged beer while messing with the screw adjustments?

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Quick Reply