Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #201
jon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
Anyone know if this works with the GE 7.0 from Home Depot? Everything I see in this thread regarding this freezer seems to point that it can't get warm enough turning the screw all the way in clockwise.
I didn't have any luck with that. it got to just about 32F, water was well frozen in it.

I attached a piece of copper sheet to the control arm of the switch where it rubs on the cam which controls the temperature. might be beyond some folk's ability... forgot to check this morning what the temperature was at, but it seemed to do the trick. now just have to fine tune things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #202
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hmm, may be stuck buying an external controller then....darn!

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #203
Jahamal
Recipes 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just got the GE freezer from Home Depot delivered and have been futzing with the adjustment screw with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I didn't have any luck with that. it got to just about 32F, water was well frozen in it.

I attached a piece of copper sheet to the control arm of the switch where it rubs on the cam which controls the temperature. might be beyond some folk's ability... forgot to check this morning what the temperature was at, but it seemed to do the trick. now just have to fine tune things.
How is it working? Do you have pics of the modification?

Once I am off work I am going home to get a closer look at the Cam on that thermostat.

-James

Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #204
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So my freezer went from holding at 37f up to 50f over the course of the last couple of weeks. My basement went from about 68f to 58f in that timeframe, is that to be expected? I adjusted the screw and have it set to about 37f again.

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #205
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Has anyone gotten one of these to work with this mod?
I got one for free and started messing with it before plugging it in. Turned both screws 4-5 times lefty-loosy and the compressor rand for 3 days without stopping. Eventually it got REALLY hot to the touch so I unplugged it. I never noticed any cooling of the chamber. The walls got a bit cold but that's it. No drop on the thermometer I have in a plastic soda jug filled with water.

Wondering weather I should scrap it and just go buy a newer one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansF View Post

There are tiny screws inside the "cut in" and "cut out" holes. I assume if I turn those counterclockwise, it will run warmer? Turn both the same amount? Some insight would be helpful.

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #206
Goob
Recipes 

How high might I be able to get the temp? Would like to get to 55 deg F to brew some lagers.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #207
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob
How high might I be able to get the temp? Would like to get to 55 deg F to brew some lagers.
This really isn't ideal for fermentation temp control, since you can't control the actual beer temp. And I can almost guarantee you won't get a freezer that warm.

I really recommend looking up the "eBay aquarium temp controller" thread for an actual temp controller that shouldn't run you much more than $20.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #208
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post

I'm curious, sir, as to how this trick is working for you. Lots of Home Depot GE freezer owners out in the field after Black Friday (myself being one) that would like to see if your technique solves the issue. I can see exactly what you're describing on my coarse adjust shaft, but I don't want to start gluing things to it if it won't go the distance. I can hit 32F and 60F, but currently can't get anything in between.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #209
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

is there a consensus as to what models work easily and what are PITA? i'm currently looking for a freezer to start kegging, probably new but maybe used. from reading through this thread it seems Frigidaire and GE aren't exactly winners, and these seem to be the most popular brands in my area. looks like some are having good results from Magic Chef??? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #210
Jahamal
Recipes 

It worked is what I have to say.

I wish I had a more accurate thermometer. I have it sitting in water and it is reading 30 deg F. I told it that its not nice to lie, but that's what it reads. I had to do a more accurate test by putting some beers in the bottom, letting them come to temperature and then drinking them. Best tasting thermometer I've ever met.

Here is what I did: (Wish I had pictures, but I am at work)

Gain access to the internal part of the lever by removeing the stickers on the sides.

Move the follower off of the cam using a screwdriver.

Take a small shim and check the fit on the follower/ cam set up.

Trim as necessary.

Glue the shim to the follower.

*Curse at the drop of superglue that sticks everything to everything*

Make sure no glue is touching anything else.

Let dry for an extended period
*Don't test it before its dry, it will pop out in a hilarious fashion causing more cursing*

Plug the freezer in and let it sit. Mines working great. Threw a collar on it this weekend. Cheap pine for a stand in until we can get money together for a nice red oak one.

Quick Reply