Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #131
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm still futzing with mine but seem to be zeroing in on it. Very small adjustments with long periods of time in between for it to stabilize seems to be the trick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #132
4x4jeep74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks vince805 for the pics of the 7.2 Figidaire, I turned the screw 4 turns cw last night and checked this morning, it was at 35.5. I tweeked it a little more and will check when I get home today. Thanks again to the OP.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #133
bamblnce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc1210 View Post
Thanks to the OP for posting! This saved me the cost of a temp controller so i figure I'd post how I got mine working.

Just bought a GE 7cuft Freezer Model FCM7DUAWW.

Shot of the Thermostat:

I unscrewed the side vent and pushed in the clips to pop out the themostat.

Once the themostat was dangling out I found the set screw. In this pic it's the top screw in that oval on the side.

It took around an entire week to get the temperature set high enough. I first turned freezer to the warmest setting. Then I screwed the set screw in(clockwise) 3 turns, let the temp stabalize over night. Repeated that over several days. Eventually I got to a total of 11 turns and the freezer temperature was sitting at 48 degrees F at the warmest setting. I wanted the temp down around the upper 30's so I put the thermostat back into the freezer and used the front dial, raising the setting up(cooler) little by little to adjust the temp a little cooler. It didn't take much and I got the temp down to 38 degrees F when the dial was at the 1.5 setting.

It takes some time and patience to get the temperature correct since the freezer has to adjust temperature overnight. But if you take your time and let the temp adjust lowering it little by little then it can be done. =)

Goodluck and Cheers!
I have this same model and I screwed that coarse adjustment in all the way and it wont get above 10 degrees. When i screwed it the other way (counter-clockwise) it just made it colder.

Any thoughts? Did you do something else that I just missed? I did put a pot of water in the bottom to see if that helped at all.
dsc01861.jpg   dsc01862.jpg   dsc01863.jpg   dsc01866.jpg  

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"

Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #134
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I will be trying this this weekend!

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #135
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

FYI- you can do this mod to the Sanyo 4912 minifridge with ease. The screw is located just to the left of the fine tune control knob.

EDIT: This actually doesn't work on the Sanyo. I'm 99% sure i'm adjusting the correct screw, but it will not let the temp go above 50 degrees no matter what.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #136
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Started tinkering with my GE 7CU last night, I only have a quart of water with a dial thermometer in it but it seems to be holding right at 35 degrees. The compressor kicks on about once every 2 hours (so far) and kicks off within 10 minutes. Since I don't have a huge thermal mass (4 full kegs) would it be safe to say the kegs will get that low as well? My next test is to toss three kegs with water in them and see what temp they hit over a two day period.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #137
Agentaaron
Recipes 

Beginners luck I guess...

I just received my 9cf Frigidaire yesterday and located the course adjustment screw within 2 minutes covered by a piece of white tape right underneath the dial.

Gave it about 10 cranks clockwise and set the units temp control at about midway. I filled up four spare kegs I have with water and dropped them in. I put a big glass of water on the hump with a floating thermometer in it

Right now after 24 hours...my temp is 38F

I'm still waiting for the delivery of my faucets and shanks to build my top and coffin, so I have a bit more time to watch it...but I think I hit the sweet spot right off the bat

give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour...teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #138
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

been messing with this. if the compressor is running, and i have a frozen jug or water, when i turn the screw the correct direction, the compressor should shut off????

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #139
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 2646

I just picked up an older White Westinghouse for next to nothing, and it took me about 20 minutes to find what I am assuming is the coarse screw adjustment.. it was behind the thermostat dial and inside the thermostat housing.. instead of being a big, beautiful obvious screw, it was a tiny little tadger that I needed to use one of my jewelers' screwdrivers on.

Just FYI.

I've got 2 gallons of water and a thermometer sitting inside it. Hopefully I don't have a block of ice come morning...

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #140
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 2646

I really should have stopped while I was ahead... after my initial turns, I'd hit 34F. Since then, and even with using half and quarter turns, I've been all over the place.. from room air to mid-20's.

I'm now using the fine adjustment. Hopefully that will work.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Quick Reply