Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Growing A Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
thevirus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growing A Yeast Bank

I have not been able to find a step by step DIY thread about growing a yeast bank from scratch. I found the thread Guid to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank yet from this I had no idea where to start to grow and reproduce and concentrate the yeast.

Just wondering if you guys know of any resources for growing yeast since I now have the storing part bookmarked

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevirus View Post
Just wondering if you guys know of any resources for growing yeast since I now have the storing part bookmarked
I think you're looking for the thread on washing yeast... I'll look for it...

Edit:

Found it it was a sticky! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/

Also the similar threads at the bottom should help but I think between the one above and the one in your post you should be all set...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Last edited by Loweface; 05-22-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Are you talking about working the yeast back up into a pitchable volume? To me, "growing a yeast bank" just means collecting more strains.

I did this for a while but then found i wasn't brewing with enough warning to get to a pitchable volume. But basically you just grow a serious of starters preferably on a stir plate. from a slant I would start with 50ml and then double the wort volume about every 48 hours. So in my case I'd go 50ml -> 100ml -> 250ml -> 1000ml then either pitch or go to 2L depending on the batch gravity.

Quick Reply