New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Gravity Fed AG system using hoist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Pkendzi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gravity Fed AG system using hoist?

Hi everyone,

I just finished converting my kegs and am pondering the 3 tier setup. 1 1/4" square metal is about $1.20 per ft here and I'm going to need at least 40 ft. 4x4 studs are not much cheaper AND I only have 2 burners at the moment.

Here is my idea; I can use cinder blocks to support the HLT, build a frame & attach a hoist to raise the MT a couple feet then move a burner under the boil kettle. Sparge in this setup and then raise the boil kettle when I want to run through the CFC to the carboys.

I was thinking an old swing set frame or something would be great but can't find one around here.

I figure I can get away with 2x4's for the frame and a hoist can be had for about $30.

I would appreciate any input/other ideas about this method.
Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

To save $50 on struts you want to suspend 60-70 pounds of boiling liquid using ropes? Between the $30 for the hoist, the cash for the 2x4s, and miscellaneous connections, it doesn't sound like you'll save much if anything. Plus, let's not forget the swinging cauldron of molten beer. I love bootleg solutions as much as the next guy, but this sounds to me like a lot more trouble than it's worth. That said, don't let me stop you.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Why not go high tech and get actuators to raise/lower sections?? It probably won't be cheap, but it would have the cool factor to it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply