Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Going to make my own grain mill, figured Id see if anyone else needs one!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
mrfurlly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Going to make my own grain mill, figured Id see if anyone else needs one!

Figured since I havent been brewing much in this cold weather that Id make some stuff for the brewery! Im going to start off with a grain mill. Ive seen the stuff in the market today. By the looks of them and the reviews Ive read on this forum, they all seem to work great. But being a machinist with access to cnc machines it would be a shame for me to simply buy one of these when I can easily make my own. And I figure since Im making 1 I might as well make 10 (or more!)

So heres a question to you guys, what would you change about your current mill? Does it really need to be ajustable? Does it need the 3rd roller? Should it be motorized? 4 inch or 14 inches? Should the rollers be made from stainless steel or do they need to be hardend? What size hopper?

Let me know what you guys think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Stainless steel rollers would be great, but they should also be hardened (heat treated and tempered would be ideal).

I don't actually have a crusher, YET... I'm actually looking to get one this month...

I would say, whatever size rollers works best, two rollers should be good, unless you really want three. Offer a handle, or ship it with one, but also make it removable and a size that you can easily place a cordless drill onto (I have one with a 1/2" chuck, but some people only have 3/8" chuck drills).

If you could make it so that you adjust just one knob, but both sides of the roller moves, that would be great. Otherwise, have a graduated adjustment knob on both ends of the adjustable roller so that feeler gauges are not needed. Proper knurling would also be a must.

Also have a base with 5 gallon bucket guide spots integrated. With the opening in the base, going directly into the middle of the bucket. A hopper would also really help (5 pound minimum) for holding the grains.

Personally, I wouldn't care if you leave the discoloration given to the steel from the heat treat and tempering process (just make sure there's no scale on it). From my experience, when making knives, that takes some work to remove.

Basically, I'm looking for an improved version of the Barley Crusher item... Not sure if you could do it for less than I can get the original for though.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think that you are on to a good idea. I don't have one so I can't really steer you with the design but I have a few suggested features that could make this a hot item.

Keep it modular. Sell it with a hand crank that can be removed easily to use drill and a motor. Make it work well with a bucket to collect milled grains. For the hopper, design the mill to fit easily onto something that could be easily bought at a store. Selling the mill should be the goal. You could offer kits for a complete setup and everything in between. Adaptability and keeping the price down could make this the new black.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Hopfarmer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Make a good one would not mind putting them on my site.Also have quite a few friends who would test .www.coloradoorganichops.com Cheers Glen

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Be glad to test the design out as well... Would provide feedback on it to help you along... I brew about every two weekends right now. With a grain mill, and the sacks o grain I hope to have on hand soon, I could do more. Of course, that will mean getting more primaries...

Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfurlly View Post
So heres a question to you guys, what would you change about your current mill? Does it really need to be ajustable?

Let me know what you guys think.
I like everything Golddiggie proposes except the rollers should be 2" or larger for my requirements.

Quote:
have a graduated adjustment knob on both ends of the adjustable roller so that feeler gauges are not needed. Proper knurling would also be a must.
My mill has an adjustment knob on both sides.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would love to help if I can/ be a tester if needed. I would love a high quality low cost mill!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
I like everything Golddiggie proposes except the rollers should be 2" or larger for my requirements.

My mill has an adjustment knob on both sides.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
2"+ diameter rollers sounds good too... Whatever size is necessary to ensure it does a solid job.

For the adjustment knobs, are yours graduated or just threads? I've yet to see a mill that has actual graduated dials to adjust the spacing. Sort of like the old dial micrometers you can still find...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

These guys have a great mill as far as I can see. Trouble is, they are in Australia. Cost way too much to get one to me in Iowa.

http://www.mashmaster.com/p/563201/millmaster-stainless-steel-grain-mill-.html

I especially like the adjustment setup, and the geared rollers. The Stainless rollers is also a good idea to keep rust off for those who keep their mill in a garage where temp change is a problem.

All in all, I think the best on the market. I would have bought one and paid more for it than I did my Monster Mill MM3-2.0. Although I will say that the 3 roller MM3-2.0 is a great mill and more than needed for a homebrewer (at least this homebrewer) I like overkill.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
Keep it modular. Sell it with a hand crank that can be removed easily to use drill and a motor. Make it work well with a bucket to collect milled grains.
Having never used one (but looking to in the very near future, I could use one now but funds are short) I can't really give more opinion than this. Make it accessible to even the new guys. Easily converting it from a hand crank to a drill style motor then even a larger motor is a huge selling point.

I too would be willing to test - go figure! I could give a completely unbiased new guy review.

Quick Reply