Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Gluing Rubber Bottoms to Corney Kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Kuhndog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Gluing Rubber Bottoms to Corney Kegs?

I've looked everywhere online for this and only found a few instances as to what people were using but no longer term results. One of the rubber bottoms has fallen off my corney and I need to get it back on. Some are suggesting gorilla glue (it sort of looks like that was previously used on this)..some are suggesting liquid nails...I found one that suggested going to a windshield repair facility and getting a bead of their adhesive.

Does anyone out there used these adhesives? I don't want to spend a fortune in finding one if someone else already has. I'm going to put a silicone bead around the top of the bottom mount where it meets the stainless steel just to make sure it's sealed.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've not had this issue yet, but I would probably use silicone caulk. Silicone is waterproof. It's flexible, so it shouldn't ever start to peel or crack. It bonds really well. It's waterproof and isn't really affected by temperature changes.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
neckbeardbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have used random products similar to liquid nail and had excellent success. I put a propane tank on top as a weight and it was good as new the next day.

Primary - RR R2H56 Clone, Berliner Weisse (Classic Amurican Styles recipe)
Secondary - More Beer RR Consecration

On tap - Kern River Citra Clone, Golden Touch (Midas Touch Clone), Pebble Snatch'n Pilsner (Jamil's CAP)

Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Kuhndog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckbeardbeer View Post
I have used random products similar to liquid nail and had excellent success. I put a propane tank on top as a weight and it was good as new the next day.
You wouldn't by chance remember what those products were do you?

I could get liquid nails...but there are many types available. The key is to have something that adheres to rubber. Most other things will adhere to metal - although stainless steel is different in many ways.

I did some research during lunch - I found Homax Professional Weld adhesive. It's good for metal, rubber, plastics...etc. It is somewhat pliable which is beneficial in that it won't crack as easy...I may give that a shot.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I've reglued tops with gorilla glue, and I can easily lift a full keg with one hand and it's not even loose.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
starsailor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhndog View Post
... Some are suggesting gorilla glue ...
That's a water cured urethane glue that sticks to most anything soft or hard except some plastics like polyethylene. That will probably work just find as long as both surfaces are clean enough.

Quote:
...some are suggesting liquid nails...
That's some kind of acrylic or vinyl ester. That may or may not work. Don't know if it sticks to SS that well.

Quote:
...I found one that suggested going to a windshield repair facility and getting a bead of their adhesive...
The glue that holds windshields in is some super tough urethane. Most are made by 3M and they're strong enough to pick up a car or keep a flying occupant in the car in an accident along with the plastic layer between the glass layers in the windshield. This would definitely work, but you can't likely buy and you'd have to show up at a windshield repair place within 20-30 min of then installing a windshield, assuming they had some left in an open tube they just used. It sets up pretty quick.

Quote:
...I found one that suggested going to a windshield repair facility and getting a bead of their adhesive...
Another option here is the stuff used to hold on rear view mirrors. That's a kind of crazy glue on steroids (CA). You can get that at the auto parts store in small tubes. It would probably take a couple of those to get enough but I'm pretty sure that will work too. Just make sure to get both surfaces super clean.

Quote:
...I'm going to put a silicone bead around the top of the bottom mount where it meets the stainless steel just to make sure it's sealed...
Not sure most common silicones will be strong enough to lift a full keg, but would probably be OK on the bottom part.

Another type of adhesive that would work for this too is 3M 5200 or 5100 marine adhesive. It's a very strong urethane that's in the same family as the windshield adhesive, but you can get it pretty easily at HD, Lowe's, and most auto parts or marine stores. One tube would probably do a couple of keg tops or bottoms.
Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club
ThreeDogsNE Likes This 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
adamreef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Another option is E6000. You can get it at craft stores. It is cheap, crazy strong and sticks to just about anything. I think it's silicone based, but is is stickier and stronger under most circumstances.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What about JB weld? I just used that to put the handle back on to a corny keg after it had fallen off. I have not filled the keg up with water to test it, but it seems like a really strong bond.

Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Heady Topper clone
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Berliner Weiss.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What you want that was described above is 3m window weld. It's meant to hold metal and rubber and glass together and is super strong. Most auto stores have it it's about $15 for a caulk tube of it. I would go to a winshield install shop and give them $5 for a dab on the keg and find a way to put weight on it for a couple days.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Gorille Glue works best.

Quick Reply