Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Glass carboy with hole on top

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #231
jrubins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't believe you guys killed the OP. That is so uncool.

I had this same idea a few months back and came to the same conclusion that Denny suggests. However, there is an easy solution - just get the better bottle guys to make a carboy with a steeper "funnel" easy peasy.

Who's with me?!?!

In bottles: Last Day IPA, AAPL American Pale Ale
On deck: Some sort of porter type thing

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything? 42. The number of bottles in my first batch of homebrew? 42. Coincidence? I think not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #232
shuckit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think OP fled to mexico. Haven't seem him in this thread in 6 weeks.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #233
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 101

No no no .. sitting in the Moscow airport waiting for asylum

Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #234
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthobrewsky
Who is this Gordie you guys are talking about?
Howe do you not know Gordie?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #235
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3402 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
And it has 4 doors.

I wonder how a pyrex carboy would work.
I still want a Pyrex brew kettle. Fear that!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #236
bahed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nope - I am still here. I am a little broke still trying to gather a couple of things to get my system in place. I home brewed for 10 years (starting in the early 90's and was mostly self taught because of the lack of info) before I then worked at two brewpubs. Ten years after those experiences, I know that I want to have a few minimum things in place such as a temperature controlled fermenter fridge (used - which, tomorrow I am getting one from the in-laws) and a pump. For those that make good beers - we know it's all about hitting your temperatures and then holding them at those temps, whether it's mashing, boiling, fermenting or storage.

Raising a couple of kids, in this economy (my wife and I have our own companies) is the most challenging thing I have ever done. This past weekend was also the last weekend of fall soccer. I am the head coach of two boys teams. My B-7 team won the league championship and my B-11 team finished a challenging (Competitive soccer team) season as we transitioned from 6v6 to 8v8 soccer Way more time consuming than most anyone out there on this thread can appreciate. I readily admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, too!

My goal has always been to have 2 to 3 brews on tap available for my friends & family for the Thanksgiving feast that we always host. Therefore, look for some progress in a couple of weeks.

Finally, I am shocked to see almost 250 replies to this thread. I figure I'd get a bunch of views and a couple of atta-boys, nothing else. I am always fascinated to see that a lot of Americans have way too much time on their hands.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #237
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahed View Post
nope - i am still here. I am a little broke still trying to gather a couple of things to get my system in place. I home brewed for 10 years (starting in the early 90's and was mostly self taught because of the lack of info) before i then worked at two brewpubs. Ten years after those experiences, i know that i want to have a few minimum things in place such as a temperature controlled fermenter fridge (used - which, tomorrow i am getting one from the in-laws) and a pump. For those that make good beers - we know it's all about hitting your temperatures and then holding them at those temps, whether it's mashing, boiling, fermenting or storage.

Raising a couple of kids, in this economy (my wife and i have our own companies) is the most challenging thing i have ever done. This past weekend was also the last weekend of fall soccer. I am the head coach of two boys teams. My b-7 team won the league championship and my b-11 team finished a challenging (competitive soccer team) season as we transitioned from 6v6 to 8v8 soccer way more time consuming than most anyone out there on this thread can appreciate. I readily admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, too!

My goal has always been to have 2 to 3 brews on tap available for my friends & family for the thanksgiving feast that we always host. Therefore, look for some progress in a couple of weeks.

Finally, i am shocked to see almost 250 replies to this thread. I figure i'd get a bunch of views and a couple of atta-boys, nothing else. I am always fascinated to see that a lot of americans have way too much time on their hands.
zombie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill it!!! Kill it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d
Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #238
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahed View Post
Finally, I am shocked to see almost 250 replies to this thread. I figure I'd get a bunch of views and a couple of atta-boys, nothing else. I am always fascinated to see that a lot of Americans have way too much time on their hands.
I am insulted! My house is a family of 5 with a 11 year old doing Irish Step dancing competitively, a 4 year old & 1 3/4 year old monsters tearing up the house, two dogs (fine they are the easy 2) and you think I have all this free time?!

Good day and good luck.

Seriously though this thread is getting worse than stale saltines we want pics!

Next: 2 test batches of stout (1gal each).
Primary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14), Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14)
Tertiary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Water and Craft Beer

Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #239
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If the Carboy is on a throne, how about a riddling schedule? give it some vigorous turns throughout its maturation, might help, and whatever you collect could be cultured up in a starter As for demijohns that big, they're simply too beautiful to potentially hurt, though they should be filled with wine haha. <badadvice> As for the problem of tearing yourself to ribbons, there's a simple answer here: Chainmail! So don your armor, test (and cover) your manhood/womanhood, and cut those holes! </badadvice>

As for shrinking the better bottle, that's pretty funny. I have one that got contaminated, still has unremovable gunk, that I've been thinking of experimenting with. Best of luck to the OP and his mobile camping S****er on a furniture dolly, I could think of a ton of alternative uses, and A++ on thinking outside the box. Forget the anti-food-grade-plastic naysayers and whatnot, at the end of the day, IT'S YOUR BREW. Look forward to pics.

Happy brewing
-RBA

Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #240
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Subbed... I'm halfway through the thread here at work, but my boss just got in, so I'll have to pick it back up later. Good work so far Bahed. I think it's a pretty awesome idea.

Quick Reply