Getting Mild Shock From Touching Keezer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivman455

Reaction score
Hey all,

I build a keezer a couple months ago using an insulated plywood collar and a Ranco temp controller. I've installed (2) small computer fans to circulate air, powered by a phone charger. It's been working flawlessly, but today I was hooking up my most recently kegged batch and got a mild electrical "tingle" when I touched the metalic interior lining of the keezer. Any clue what might be causing this? I had wiped some spilled beer off the keg with sanitizer and it must have been a little wet still because I even got a little shock when hooking up the CO2 & Beer lines. It's not a strong current but I don't want to let it go un-checked.

Using a meter I would check the voltage against the shell, then turn off one thing at a time until you isolate what is causing the voltage.

Dan

disconnect your fans and check it. your controller should be grounded, but your fans might not be. after that you might want to take the controller out of the ckt and then check it again.

Air movement from the fans can cause static electricity buildup. Probably not likely but if everything else checks out.:drunk:

I unplugged everything and checked all the connections. Everything looked fine and when I plugged everything back in I couldn't notice any shock... maybe something was loose? Oh well... thanks for the suggestions!

GFCI's don't like motors with heavy startup loads like refrigeration systems. They tend to trip out in the middle of the night or when you're on vacation causing a whole lotta stink. Or in this case a whole lot of warm beer.

GFCI's don't like motors with heavy startup loads like refrigeration systems. They tend to trip out in the middle of the night or when you're on vacation causing a whole lotta stink. Or in this case a whole lot of warm beer.

Really? My keezer's been plugged into a GFCI for 10 years w/no problems - draws around 5amps.

Really? My keezer's been plugged into a GFCI for 10 years w/no problems - draws around 5amps.

My freezer has tripped mine a few times. yfun is right though, big motors and capacitive / inductive loads create a difference in the line/load current and can trip the GFCI. I had a vaccum cleaner that tripped them all the time.

The best way to see if you have a voltage leak is to get your feet really wet and stand in a puddle on concrete. Then lick it like in the Christmas Story! You'll know for sure if you have a short!

Please don't take any of the above mentioned advice, but if you do could you please make a video for our enjoyment?

Back