The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > GE 7 CF (FCM7SUWW) keezer conversion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #201
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Both HD and Walmart have 7.0 cu ft GE freezers for $159. HD includes free shipping (haven't checked Walmart.com).

Great thread, getting wonderful ideas on how to do my build.

A question for someone who has done their builds. I am considering using "white wood" from HD for the collar. If I do this, the max width is 1x8 which is 3/4"x7 1/4" actual. From reading earlier posts, this might be extremely tight if I wanted to put a corny on the hump. Would it be possible for someone to do an actual measurement? I have mostly ball-lock but I could use a pin-lock on the collar (as they aren't as tall)? I am only considering this route to minimize project time, eliminate any change that could mess up the warranty. I am planning on putting this in my kitchen so I can avoid that long walk to the basement where my old ugly converted refrigerator sits.

Thanks to all for some awesome looking builds in this thread.

Oh, one other thing. On the subject of fitting a half-barrel, there is a plan B. When I had my first batch of home-brew ready in the keg, I already had a half empty 1/4 barrel (pony style) in my converted fridge with no room for the keg. So, I simply did a keg-to-keg transfer from the pony keg to an empty corny. (No air exposure.) You simply rig up from your bev out on the sanke keg a line which goes to a qd which is connected to the bev line of the target empty corny. Then apply co2 to the sanke and when it's pressure is higher than the target corny, the beer will start to transfer. Then vent the pressure on the target once in a while and you can do the transfer. So, while not perfect, you can use this method to transfer a 1/2 barrel to 3 5-gallon corny kegs. The extra 1/2 gallon you just drink while you are doing the transfer
I used a 2x8 for my collar and I can say that fitting the 5th keg on the hump is possible BUT it is a very tight fit. I want to say that when I tried this it was about an 1/8th of an inch too tall so that the lid would not close entirely. A simple way to get around this if you know about it before building your keezer is to either make a bigger collar or get thicker rubber for your weatherstripping.

I plan to get around this by sanding off some of the rubber from one of my kegs bottoms to get it to fit or by getting a low profile ball lock keg or getting a converted pin lock.

The 5# regulator fits with no problem on the hump but I like to let my other kegs hold it up since there is a lot of empty areas between the kegs due to having them staggered. I am using the space above the hump for the basket that comes with the freezer for bottles and below that I keep my washed yeast on the actual hump.

I am hoping I can keep my setup as it is with 4 kegs on the floor but I can see that changing as I get more into AG. Here is a link to mine so you can see what I mean... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show...ml#post3418986
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #202
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,399
Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
I used a 2x8 for my collar and I can say that fitting the 5th keg on the hump is possible BUT it is a very tight fit. I want to say that when I tried this it was about an 1/8th of an inch too tall so that the lid would not close entirely. A simple way to get around this if you know about it before building your keezer is to either make a bigger collar or get thicker rubber for your weatherstripping.

I plan to get around this by sanding off some of the rubber from one of my kegs bottoms to get it to fit or by getting a low profile ball lock keg or getting a converted pin lock.

The 5# regulator fits with no problem on the hump but I like to let my other kegs hold it up since there is a lot of empty areas between the kegs due to having them staggered. I am using the space above the hump for the basket that comes with the freezer for bottles and below that I keep my washed yeast on the actual hump.

I am hoping I can keep my setup as it is with 4 kegs on the floor but I can see that changing as I get more into AG. Here is a link to mine so you can see what I mean... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show...ml#post3418986
Thanks, looks very nice. I think I will give up on the 1x8 "white wood" idea and just use 1x10 that I either stain or paint. It's going in the kitchen but I have wood floors (and lots of stained wood in the house in general). Do you have a write-up on the details of your build?
__________________

Last n brews in 2014: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
6/13: Rolling Rock (P), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (P), 5/27: Coumbus IPA (P), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (K),4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (K), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (B),

copyright1997 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #203
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TomSD's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, CA
Posts: 1,449
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Another option is to carve out some of the insulation in the lid... that hump is crazy big.

__________________

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!
TomSD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #204
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Thanks, looks very nice. I think I will give up on the 1x8 "white wood" idea and just use 1x10 that I either stain or paint. It's going in the kitchen but I have wood floors (and lots of stained wood in the house in general). Do you have a write-up on the details of your build?
I don't have a write up of the build but I did follow this build almost step by step, the only thing different I did was the 2x8. By using the thicker wood, I didn't have to shim out anything and I got some better insulation qualities due to it being a little thicker. I am pretty sure HD sells 2x10's that you could use and have no issues with getting the 5th on the hump.

Let us know how it works out or if you have more questions.
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #205
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,737
Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Sweet, mine was just delivered. They carried it up stairs to my office and everything. Giving it a 48 hour burn in now.

Is there a way to run a temperature probe without modifying the freezer?

__________________
Cpt_Kirks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #206
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Sweet, mine was just delivered. They carried it up stairs to my office and everything. Giving it a 48 hour burn in now.

Is there a way to run a temperature probe without modifying the freezer?

run it in and let the lid close on it, you wont lose much if any coldness by doing so.
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #207
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,581
Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

Default

While not as good of deal as the first one I bought for $20, I think I will grab one for a fermentation chamber.

forumrunner_20111202_121156.jpg

__________________
skeezerpleezer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #208
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
While not as good of deal as the first one I bought for $20, I think I will grab one for a fermentation chamber.

Attachment 39679
Where are these selling for $100?
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #209
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,737
Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
run it in and let the lid close on it, you wont lose much if any coldness by doing so.
My CHI temp controller is due in today, so I will give that a try.

Maybe add a bit of foam tape either side of probe wire.
__________________
Cpt_Kirks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #210
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
My CHI temp controller is due in today, so I will give that a try.

Maybe add a bit of foam tape either side of probe wire.
I wouldn't do that, it will only make the gap bigger. The seal on this freezer is pretty forgiving and thick so a small wire will not do much to the seal.
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jersh's Keezer build... Keezer thread #1,493,829 Jersh DIY Projects 40 05-22-2014 12:19 PM
"Keezer Soze" (yet another keezer build) JuanMoore DIY Projects 72 02-16-2013 02:14 AM
Question for anyone who has DIY'd a GE 7 CF (FCM7SUWW) TomSD DIY Projects 14 08-19-2010 01:59 AM
The keezer build is finally finished! Keezer porn attached. GRHunter DIY Projects 20 06-05-2010 03:38 AM
keezer conversion - what do I need? Belmont DIY Projects 19 04-24-2009 12:32 PM