Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Gas and Temperature Control for Dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Default Gas and Temperature Control for Dummies

This is my second thread designed to help those who may be building a new brewery. I was asked some of these questions recently and decided it would be handy information to have documented on the forum. Again, before I get flamed, I am not insinuating anyone reading this forum or post is a dummy.

The system below utilizes a Honeywell Y8610U intermittent pilot propane or natural gas valve kit (Intermittent Pilot Retrofit Kit). I feel this method may be a touch safer than the Brutus 10 method because there is no concearn over your pilot blowing out.

The Y8610U includes the following features:

• Y8610U kits can be used with either natural or LP gas.

• Y8610U provides a 90 second maximum ignition trial, shuts off, waits six minutes nominal, then reinitiates the pilot ignition sequence. The ignition trial, shutoff, and wait cycle repeat until the pilot lights or the call for heat ends.

• Y8610U kits can be used with either natural or LP gas; it provides timed trial for ignition and 100 percent pilot shutoff on loss of flame.

Each Y8610U kit includes:

— S8610U Intermittent Pilot Module.
— VR8304M Dual Valve Combination Gas Control.
— 392431 Igniter-Sensor* (Not used for this Application you will need to purchase a Q345A1313. See Below).
— 394800-30 Ignition Cable.
— 393691 Natural to LP Gas Conversion Kit.
— Wiring Harness.
— 393690-14 Straight Flange Kit (3/4 in.) .
— Reducer adapters for gas control.
— Adhesive mounting option for S8610.
— Installation hardware.

You will also need a Pilot Burner and Orifice.

— Q345A1313 Pilot Burner/Sensor Assembly.
— 390868-1 0.010" Orifice for Q345A1313.

The diagram below describes a low pressure propane system designed to control the temperature of a HLT. It can be used to control the temperature of any of the three vessels in your brewery. IMPORTANT: This system is designed for low pressure propane or Natural Gas. If using Propane, please make sure your propane regulator is set for 11 WC or less than 0.5 lbs pressure. Please make sure you read and understand the instructions accompanying the Y8610U kit from Honeywell before proceding. The information presented in this post can be found in that document also.

The Y8610U can be purchased from Patriot Supply. Their Ebay Store is (Patriot Supply Ebay Store).

The SYL4352 and Thermocouple can be purchased from Auber Instruments. Their URL is (Auber Instruments Website).

Guy

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 08-30-2009 at 11:36 AM.
lpdjshaw Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
samc
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks once again for the info. I know less about this subject than the RIM you detailed.

My first question is the six minute shut down, I realize this is a safety feature but it seems like a long time to be of any value in brewing. Wouldn't it be better if the system set off an alarm and waited for "user intervention" to get it back to a working state?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

The module will try to relight for 90 seconds and if it does not succeed will shut down for 6 minutes. The system determines that if it cannot relight in 90 seconds, something is very wrong and gives 6 minutes for any residual propane time to dissipate before trying to relight for another 90 seconds. I think this is an excellent safety feature. I agree that an alarm would be handy to let the user know something is wrong when it didn't relight in 90 seconds.

Guy

Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any way to override the 6 min reset time?

Just as an example;

Ready to start the boil windy day, ignition times out. Can you manually override somehow and simply watch the burner for safety?

I like the safety aspect, but can see potential issues on a windy day with an outside brewstand.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
kladue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Cycle the power to the ignition module and start sequence over. If pilot response to wind is a problem make a sheild out of screen wire or perforated metal to block the wind.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Any way to override the 6 min reset time?

Just as an example;

Ready to start the boil windy day, ignition times out. Can you manually override somehow and simply watch the burner for safety?

I like the safety aspect, but can see potential issues on a windy day with an outside brewstand.
Kladue is 100% correct. That is why I have a switch on my Control Panel labeled "HLT Gas". The switch simply interrupts the 24 VAC going to the S8610 module which resets the module.

Guy

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 08-30-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Guys. Man that is 100% COOL! Great looking panel.

Any problem running all 3 burners on LPG at 11" WC? I am also using the Hurricane's for all 3 and have yet to decide on this system or the Standing Pilot and Asco's. I'm now leaning this way but I already have 2 pilot valves and 2 Asco valves. Should be able to sell them though.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 08-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Thanks Guys. Man that is 100% COOL! Great looking panel.

Any problem running all 3 burners on LPG at 11" WC? I am also using the Hurricane's for all 3 and have yet to decide on this system or the Standing Pilot and Asco's. I'm now leaning this way but I already have 2 pilot valves and 2 Asco valves. Should be able to sell them though.
Thank you. You shouldn't have a problem, providing your gas plumbing is sufficient. Remember pressure and volume are two different things.

Guy

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Remember pressure and volume are two different things.
Does anyone know if this system can be used with a Hurricane setup? The Hurricane says it is a high-pressure low-volume system. This sounds like it would be higher that 11" WC to me....

I do have access to low pressure LP, I am concerned too about the ability to fire to burners at once. Any insight???

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
samc
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Does anyone know if this system can be used with a Hurricane setup? The Hurricane says it is a high-pressure low-volume system. This sounds like it would be higher that 11" WC to me....

I do have access to low pressure LP, I am concerned too about the ability to fire to burners at once. Any insight???
The Hurricane is delivered as a Low Pressure propane system with regulator. Under 1 psi as I recall. That's why it is easy to convert to NG.

Quick Reply