Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Gas Line Manifold Help - Needle Valves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
berrywise
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Gas Line Manifold Help - Needle Valves

I was hoping that someone might be able to help guide me on this one. I'm starting to assemble my gas manifold for my single tier brew stand that utilizes three bayou burners.

I plan to go propane tank> gas regulator> 1/2" black pipe.

From there I'll have it spit into three sections each being connected to the black pipe via a 1/2" ball valve. Exiting the ball valve ideally I'd liked to reduce everything down to 3/8" because that is what the orifices are that go with the burners.

The problem I'm running into is that all the needle valves I'm finding are 1/4". This has me scratching my head at all the extra bits and pieces I'm going to have to use to reduce it with.

The last part of my equation is that I plan to use soft copper pipe for the longer lines once it has left the ball valve. I've done a fair amount of searches on the forum to help with this but so far haven't come up with anything that matches up close enough to be useful.

Anyone else run into this problem that might be able to shed some light?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
fuzzybee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Keep an eye on ebay. A couple of months ago, I picked up four 1/2" stainless needle valves for $10 each.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why do you need needdle valves at all? Control the flames with the ball valves. After the ball valves use a 1/2" male thread x 3/8" flare or compression fitting.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
Why do you need needdle valves at all? Control the flames with the ball valves. After the ball valves use a 1/2" male thread x 3/8" flare or compression fitting.
You do not need needle valves at all, but precise flame control is difficult with ball valves unless you extend the handle by ten feet. Trust me. I had no needle valves for a few batches and quickly realized that needle valves are highly desirable.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Quick Reply