Garage Sink Faucet - Rube Goldberg edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I got tired of constantly switching out connections on my garage sink faucet, so I decided to improve the faucet.

I added dedicated faucets for specific jobs.

From Left to Right:

1. Tubing washer faucet
2. General use faucet
3. Keg washer and quick disconnect faucet
4. Hose sprayer

The tubing washer is awesome, it blasts out the inside of all the tubes that I use.

The last picture shows how it is hooked up to the faucet. This way I can get hot and cold through each hose bib. That also saves a lot time. Rather than turn on the faucet and get the temperature just where you want it every time you use it, I set the temperature where I want it and it leave that way, then I just turn on the hose bibs when I need them.

(Brewing can be death by a thousand paper cuts, I'm just getting rid of a few of those cuts, one gizmo at a time.)

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01520.jpg

Love it! Rube is my hero!! To honor his legacy, you need to devise a way for the steam from your BK to begin turning the faucets on, in a timed sequence, in order of use. :D

If you ever sell your house, you could probably spot homebrewers among prospective buyers based on their response to that beautiful timesaver.

It is so simple and make so much sense that so many people are feeling silly right now because they did not think of it....

Cheers.

DPB

IslandLizard said:
He's just getting around cleaning it. :D

Plastic stains. Even my light colored Corian kitchen sink needs the right attention, with Softscrub and bleach, to look "clean."

I've not had a problem with my Corian sink. But it does get soft scrubbed regularly. Now the fiberglass tub in the garage we used to have...it was impossible to keep that thing clean once it got so old/used. Prob some micro crack that destroyed the finish.

I love the concept and even it's execution...but your sink scares me.

I was waiting for this comment, I knew someone say something. ;)

It's a fiberglass sink.

I got the sink from my dad, on the back of the sink written in sharpy pen is the dollar amount, $5.00. $15.00 dollars for the wall bracket. For some reason at the yard sale he bought this thing at those two items were sold separately.

It's actually worse than you think, the brown smudge on the right side, is actually plumbers putty, covering a 1" hole with duck tape on the other side, an accident with my hammer punched a hole through the sink wall.

Grossy said:
I was waiting for this comment, I knew someone say something. ;)

It's a fiberglass sink.

I got the sink from my dad, on the back of the sink written in sharpy pen is the dollar amount, $5.00. $15.00 dollars for the wall bracket. For some reason at the yard sale he bought this thing at those two items were sold separately.

It's actually worse than you think, the brown smudge on the right side, is actually plumbers putty, covering a 1" hole with duck tape on the other side, an accident with my hammer punched a hole through the sink wall.

That just became ghetto-fabulous!!

Love it, i like the keg washer idea, I am guessing that it would work for carboys also?

I call it a keg washer, but I use it to blast out my ale pail fermentors and kettles (I dont use carboy's, to dangerous). It's actually much less mess this way. Rather than pour water into the pails or kettles and then pouring that back into the sink, which then splashes all over the place, the hole thing stays contained under the container I am washing. Just turn it around and angle it back and forth and everything gets blasted off.

It will work great for carboys. But I would suggest instead of the PVC riser I used, for a carboy use 1/2" copper pipe or maybe even 3/8" copper tubing. The reason is this:

I made a bottle washer (when I was bottling beer) that was similar in concept, it washed 5 bottles at a time. What I found was that the narrow opening of the bottle, was restricted by the pipe I had inserted into the bottle. The water could get in but it could not get out fast enough.

So use a narrow pipe like I mentioned above and you will do fine.

Plumbed in directly or attached to the faucet (allowing hot / cold)?

It is attached to the faucet.

The end of the faucet has a hose thread at the end. I used a female hose adapter to female pipe thread fitting.

This way I can get hot and cold through each hose bib. That also saves a lot time. Rather than turn on the faucet and get the temperature just where you want it every time you use it, I set the temperature where I want it and it leave that way, then I just turn on the hose bibs when I need them.

DSC01520.jpg

It is attached to the faucet.

The end of the faucet has a hose thread at the end. I used a female hose adapter to female pipe thread fitting.

This way I can get hot and cold through each hose bib. That also saves a lot time. Rather than turn on the faucet and get the temperature just where you want it every time you use it, I set the temperature where I want it and it leave that way, then I just turn on the hose bibs when I need them.

What a great idea. My mop sink in the basement has the same threaded faucet. I'm constantly switching from faucet to bottle washer to spray hose, etc. Can't wait to give this one a try. Thanks for the photos.

I love this forum. I just got a message from a real nice guy in Austria inquiring about this build. Almost two years after I posted this one.

Another example of home brewing spreading cheer throughout the world.

As an update, this build is no longer in use at my home, I upgraded it with my Garage-to-Brew Pup conversion.

Below are two links to those builds:

100 gallon water tank sink
Grossy's Garage Red-Brick Brew Pub

Back