Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Garage Needs a brew rig...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Aust1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Garage Needs a brew rig...

Hey guys. I bought a new home last year. It came with a four car detached garage (plus the 3 car attached garage). Wifey and I filled it up with some poker tables, pingpong, darts, ext.. But I still have lots of room. Lately I have been thinking about an electrical/gas system, and while in the garage today I noticed THIS...

Thats a dedicated 50Amp 240V.. And it is just waiting to be plugged into a brew rig!

So, any electricians out there want to tell me what to do with all that power?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Dude, F!@% you. Seriously.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Replace that thing with a 50A GFI and run two 5500W elements. One for the HLT and one for the boil kettle

Old 04-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
67coupe390

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Dude, F!@% you. Seriously.
Bobby don't be so....No, your right F%@k you Aust1227!!!!!

Coupe 390

Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

At 80% of rated breaker your down to 40 amps or 9.6kw before adding the control panel with equipment and lights before adding the pump wattage be it one or two pumps. Two 4.5kw heating elements would only allow 600 watts for one or two pumps plus control panel and lighting wattage. With your two 5,500 watt elements your already at 91% of the rated breaker rating before adding control and pump wattage. A weak breaker can drop out before reaching the 50 amp rating causing you problems. Something to think about unless you add a magnetic starter or relay with NO/NC contacts allowing only one heater to operate at a time with the control panel and pumps operational all the time. This is why I have a spare 70 amp breaker (56 amp at 80%) for a future electrically heated brewing.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

At 80% of rated breaker your down to 40 amps or 9.6kw before adding the control panel with equipment and lights and before adding the pump wattage be it one or two pumps. Two 4.5kw heating elements would only allow 600 watts for one or two pumps plus control panel and lighting wattage. With your two 5,500 watt elements your already at 91% of the rated breaker rating before adding control and pump wattage. A weak breaker can drop out before reaching its 50 amp rating causing you problems. Something to think about unless you add a magnetic starter or relay with NO/NC contacts allowing only one heater to operate at a time with the control panel and pumps operational all the time. This is why i'm saving a spare 70 amp breaker (56 amp at 80%) for a future electrically heated brewing system.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Aust1227
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coupe390
Bobby don't be so....No, your right F%@k you Aust1227!!!!!
Thought you guys might like that!!

Seriously though. I don't have much electrical experience at all. I really don't know where to start! Any help on schematics would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Heck your garage / play room is bigger than some peoples houses, build a bar next to your brewing equipment and enjoy it. Make sure you add a big ventilation system over your brewing equipment preventing a rain forest garage. Pool table, plenty of Sports Illustrated Center Folds add a disco ball your set.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 139 Posts

Sweet Play Ground! It's missing a projection TV system.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Aust1227
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Sweet Play Ground! It's missing a projection TV system.
Okay. So my garage is great, but that won't brew my beer for me (sung to the tune of "that don't impress me much")!!

I need electric help. Will one of you guys help me get a clue on how to wire this thing up, control boxes, SSRs, and all that crap.

I am thinking a two element system, with a BIG element in the HLT controlled by a simple on/off thermostat. Then a smaller heater for the rims system that will be controlled by a PID. March pump that is wired in with a neat little indicator link, probably a sensor on the intake line so I don't run the thing dry, and lastly i want the RIM heating element to only be able to turn on if the pump is on.

The boil kettle will be a manual gas system until further notice!!

HELP!

Quick Reply