Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Garage home brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
brwbier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Where will the waste water go? Thats the one thing that keeps me from brewing in my garage.
Brwbier

Last edited by brwbier; 05-22-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwbier View Post
Where will the waste water go? Thats the one thing that keeps me from brewing in my garage.
Brwbier
Excellent question. I'm looking into that. Also it would be great to have hot water and a nice sink to wash everything. Either way the garage is getting insulated.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Just to save you some efficiency, I would pull out the second garage door and wall that in. This of course would give you some more wall space to work with, maybe put your temp controlled room there. Looks awesome!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm re-doing my workshop this summer. Last summer I put in natural gas heat with one of those ventless units. Dont get one of those! It put so much moisture into the air that a lot of my stuff rusted. This year I'm re-doing the ceiling (currently is just insulation backing) and fixing the roof venting (currently just one pot vent, no "soffet" vents). So I'll be adding in some holes to act as soffet vents, drywalling the ceiling W/ room for venting to flow up the underside of the roof and out the pot vent on top. I've bought a vented 40K BTU ceiling mounted heater as well. $70 on craigslist.

If you have the time I would put heat out there if you are going to brew. Why brew indoors if it is -20 outside and -20 inside...

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ripped out all of the inside paneling, nails, etc from the walls. Took out the old door and frame, took down the garage door opener. Going to replace Both garage doors with insulated ones. Here is what the guy at Lowes told me to do with the ceiling.

4x 7" tall beams span the garage 4' apart. Use these to create a ceiling. Insulate the ceiling, leave the "attic" space above vented and do nothing with it. Get some cheap lat board and screw it in place above to create a grid of supports to roll out some R-30 like a blanket on top of the 7" beams

Then use the 7" of space below the insulation in-between the beams to mount lighting etc. And install a drop ceiling on the underside of the beams. The only problem is the current garage doors would hit the drop ceiling. I need to figure out a configuration where the garage door operation does not interfere with the ceiling. Has anyone done this before? I will have to get a professional out to install the new garage doors as the existing ones look like someone left their level at home.

My current plan this week is to get an electriction to look at the garage and tell me where an electric sub box would go. Then I can start wiring up the outlets and boxes to a central point where the sub box would be. Then I can start insulating the walls and drywalling them as well.

Suggestions on drywall vs green board? Suggestions for insulation R value for side walls? Suggestions for R value in garage door?

I plan on putting the brewing equipment in the back left corner of the garage to the left of the back window and work bench visible in the picture. Above it I want to put a ventilation fan like the ones over a stove range in a kitchen. In the center of the roof just above the back window is a 6" pipe that vents to the outside. I could easily duct the vent fan to this.

I was thinking of running 2 outlet boxes on each side and 3 on the back wall. Maybe 2x double or quad halogen light boxes in each side of the garage? I will have more pictures of the inside of the garage as soon as I get them off of my camera.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What software are you guys using? I think the pics look great BTW.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
What software are you guys using? I think the pics look great BTW.
Google Sketch-up
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I talked to an electrician today. I am now set to run all the wires for the new outlets to one central location on the back wall. Two new 20amp lines will be run from my house to the back wall. The existing 15amp line will be used for the lights, of which more will be added in the ceiling. Once the wiring is in the walls I can start insulating and dry walling.

One major hurdle to overcome is the garage doors playing nice with any ceiling that would be installed. In the last post I explained where the ceiling would go etc. here is a picture of how the current garage doors fit into the ceiling. I would need to have someone install new ones that sit slightly lower than the current ones...

What do you all think about this? Any ideas?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For ideas: the plan for my shop is to do a cathedral ceiling. That way I still have room to store wood in the rafters. Currently the only ventilation is one pot vent on the peak. I'll be putting in soffet vents along the outside and spacers on the underside of the roof, then insulation (which actually is already there...), then drywall. I'll have to cut around the beams that go across and the parts holding the garage door rails, and that will be fussy. It will be a project but it allows me to have proper roof venting, with insulation/vapor barrier. I should be able to heat the garage a lot better this winter without condensation issues.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #20
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Where will the waste water go?

Thats the one thing that keeps me from brewing in my garage.
Brwbier
Not me

Here is my solution.
Only one connection to each line shown.

Only three quick connections are required during brewing, gas, air and waste line.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Quick Reply