Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Garage home brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 05:46 PM   #101
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My vote would be for a well sealed bamboo floor. Cheap, attractive, and cleans easily. That is what I will be putting in my brewery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #102
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Do you then put a sealing layer on top of the bamboo?
I have never worked with one.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #103
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
Not me

Here is my solution.
Only one connection to each line shown.

Only three quick connections are required during brewing, gas, air and waste line.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Upside down EMT half straps straps for the gas and air line come on CladiusB you know better than that as your plumbing is about to fall off the wall.
Rigid half straps with backings or even two hole straps vs one hole.
A length of gas line falling down is enough to snap off at the threads causing a bad gas leak and a fire hazard.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 07-31-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #104
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

We did not make much progress this weekend. A few minor things were done however. We coated the patio with the sealer which made it nice and shiny. We insulated about 1/3 of the garage. This is taking forever as we currently only have 1 staple gun to use, each piece of R-30 is only 4' long so it just barely fits between the 2' boards supporting the insulation in the ceiling. Hopefully tonight the majority of the insulation will be complete. We also installed the vent fan (110 CFM) and ducted it to an existing vent in the garage.

Tonight I am also planning on finishing up the Cat 6 lines and preping for paint on the walls sometime this week.

O yeah, and we finally got around to brewing! you know, that thing that has been the entire purpose of building the brewery in the garage in the first place... We did a cream ale, on the stove ( 2lb DME, 3.3lb LME and some vangard hops to 1.044SG with White Labs Cream Ale Yeast and put it in a corny to ferment. The last batch of cream ale we made went bad (too cold) and smells like nail polish remover. The only batch to go bad out of our 20-30 we have made so far... On a positive note, our stout is 100% ready and our Pale Ale is tasting great and just needs to be carbed. Going to brew an Amber Ale this week as well and then we will be all set for our opening party in about another month!

Here are some crappy low light pictures of the insulation! (if only I trusted myself with my Canon XSi on a ladder)

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #105
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Progress has slowed a little lately due to lack of funding (ie being broke) We have spend nearly $6,000 so far just to renovate the garage, and more will be needed to buy all the necessary equipment. I think we will be able to pull it off though. Some things, like ceiling tiles, sneak up on you though, $1/Sq.ft doesnt sound too bad until you do the math and realize you need $500 of ceiling tiles.

Got ahold of a buddy with a network crimper and finished off the network connections in the brewery, We have internet!!!

And what more could one want than fresh beer and internet?

I put in most of the insulation except for the more difficult part along the right wall that needs to be stuffed into the ceiling. Its about 3/4 done at least. Its a slow process with one staple gun but its getting done.

We finally picked out a paint color and got to work priming and painting. Fresh plaster really sucks up primer. Here is the finished results of the painting and tape removal.

What better color to paint a brewery than a nice golden brown beer color. Beer spilled on the walls? No problem! The color is a bit off in the photos but I assure you it looks like beer. Going to have someone come in a do a little touch up to give it some depth in the foam etc but its basically done. Once the white ceiling tiles are in I think it will really sell the look.

After the paint dried for a day we put in the outlets and covers and cleaned everything up a bit. It is finally safe to turn on the electricity to the outlets! I also took some time to wire up the speaker plate. 2 outdoor speakers on the patio and 4 in-ceiling speakers will be installed shortly. Hopefully these will produce some decent sound while saving us floor/shelf space. There is also talk of a guitar amp hookup.

Thats all the updates for now. We bought a package of ceiling tiles to test them out and see how they look. Just some more insulation and ceiling tiles and we can start moving stuff in.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #106
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

looking good. At first glance I thought, WOW That tape line is not straight at all....Wait a minute I bet he;s going for the "Glass of Beer" Look.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #107
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Awesome!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #108
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
looking good. At first glance I thought, WOW That tape line is not straight at all....Wait a minute I bet he;s going for the "Glass of Beer" Look.
Unfortunately, the garage is a bit uneven, especially on the floor, its sinking a bit in the back. I found it would be impossible to make strait lines without careful measuring etc and then it might make the floor look uneven etc. Instead we decided the slightly wavy glass of beer look would work out better.

On a side note, dont use anything other than 3M painters tape. I had someone go to the store for me and buy the "cheap stuff" and it did not stick at all.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #109
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

More updates. It's always that last 10% to finish a project that seems to take forever. The inside ceiling tiles are completely done for the bottom half of the ceiling and almost all done for the top half.

The insulation is done minus one row that was left out so we could still access the ceiling... to install the sign!

Former backboard prepped and measured to place the sign level and center.

Cross supports on back of sign that we are using to mount it.

Bolt configuration holding up the sign. 1/2" bolt with washers on either side. Threaded screw hole (very similar to a tap handle screw)

Drilled holes and screwed in the threaded screw holes.

Drilled 4 holes in the backboard and popped the bolts and washers on.

Sign is hung!

Full shot of the brewery.

So there it is, the sign is hung, we are practically on our way! Just a few minor things to finish up in the inside, like trim work and a few ceiling tiles and we are all done with construction, except for the outside screened in area. Hope to be finishing up this week with some of the leftover stuff and moving on to the patio and putting the brewing stuff in the brewery!

Old 08-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #110
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Wow, nice!

Quick Reply