Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Garage brewery build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
sjvicker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Garage brewery build

Assuming the appraisal goes well, my fiance and I will be closing on this house in early March and I'll be building the brewery in this space shortly thereafter. The ceiling is 7' high and the width is about 8' (forgot to get an exact measurement during the inspection)

I batch sparge and will be brewing on an electric keggle system. Also, I would prefer to not pump anything but water. I will be able to plumb water in over the keggles and waste out if I drain it down the driveway. I plan on removing everything and starting from bare studs. Does anyone have any advice on how I should build the system in this space?

Strait Jacket Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Cool, hope everything goes smoothly with the purchase/build.

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Start by moving all of your electrical equipment. You need 3' of working space in front of panels, etc, and if you build a brewery there, you will need to move that stuff to keep to code.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
sjvicker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Start by moving all of your electrical equipment. You need 3' of working space in front of panels, etc, and if you build a brewery there, you will need to move that stuff to keep to code.
I'm really not too worried about keeping it to code, plus doesn't the 3' rule only apply to businesses on commercial property? I'm just a home brewer who's enjoying the thought of having a fixed location for brewing.

Those panels are actually the old ones and are only junction boxes at this time.

Strait Jacket Brewing

Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
DigityDan
Recipes 

How do you plan to operate your brewery ? Are you using pumps or gravity. do you already have a stand or no?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
sjvicker
Recipes 

I was originally planning on pumping from HLT to Mash Tun then gravity from there but after doing a quick sketch I found that the Mash Tun would be too high. I think I'm going to go with a single level design just high enough to gravity feed into carboys. Pumps will be in the distant plan but not a priority.

No stand as of right now but I'll probably throw one together out of 2x4's and modify as necessary. Once I settle on a setup I like I'll weld a metal stand.

Strait Jacket Brewing

Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvicker View Post
I'm really not too worried about keeping it to code, plus doesn't the 3' rule only apply to businesses on commercial property? I'm just a home brewer who's enjoying the thought of having a fixed location for brewing.

Those panels are actually the old ones and are only junction boxes at this time.

What is that to the right of the workbench? Looks like a dead space? Could be an IDEAL place to put a small cold room for lagering. Just box it in with access doors and a small window AC unit. It's tall, too, so if there isn't anything up higher that we can't see in the pic, you could put a beefy shelf or two in it. Looks like with a strong shelf, you could do 4-6 batches at various stages of done-ness. Maybe 3 fermenters up top and 3 secondaries down under. Then you don't even have to move anything to rack off into the secondaries.

Looks like an ideal place to set up a garage brewery.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvicker View Post

It's your house, you'd BETTER want to keep it to code. The 3' rule applies to any panel or switchboard, no matter if it is a residence, or whatever. If they're just j-boxes, then get rid of them entirely. They're eyesores, and you are tearing down to the bare studs anyway.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
sjvicker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrriiide View Post
What is that to the right of the workbench? Looks like a dead space? Could be an IDEAL place to put a small cold room for lagering. Just box it in with access doors and a small window AC unit. It's tall, too, so if there isn't anything up higher that we can't see in the pic, you could put a beefy shelf or two in it. Looks like with a strong shelf, you could do 4-6 batches at various stages of done-ness. Maybe 3 fermenters up top and 3 secondaries down under. Then you don't even have to move anything to rack off into the secondaries.

Looks like an ideal place to set up a garage brewery.
Great idea, got me thinking about a few things. That space to the right of the workbench is a closet so I'm not even going to suggest removing it.

Right next to the closet on the wall you can see the gas line running into the basement.

This is a storage room with the furnace and hot water heater, a perfect room for fermenting and I can gravity feed right into the fermenters. This layout would allow me to put the boil kettle on the ground and give me enough room to use a vertical brew stand layout.

Strait Jacket Brewing

Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
sjvicker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
It's your house, you'd BETTER want to keep it to code. The 3' rule applies to any panel or switchboard, no matter if it is a residence, or whatever. If they're just j-boxes, then get rid of them entirely. They're eyesores, and you are tearing down to the bare studs anyway.
Can you elaborate on the 3' rule? In my current garage there's no way to park 2 cars without having one within 3' of the panel, do cars not matter because they're movable?

Does the 3' rule apply to the space directly in front of the panel or from side to side as well?

Strait Jacket Brewing

Quick Reply