Gaptooth Brewhouse is ready for action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
Well it's 99% done, just a few things to button up. I plan to send her on the maiden voyage next saturday. It's powered by 50A GFCI, SSRs on all hot legs, two 4500W elements (one in HLT and one in BK), RIMS has a 3500W element. All running on 220v. All 1/2" stainless plumbing (except the connections to the pump heads where I transitioned from hose barb to SS). Two Iwaki MD-70RLZ (~ 1/3 hp) pumps; I've measured flow rate from one vessel to the next (through the RIMS) at 7.5 gpm at full throttle. It has an Alfa Laval plate chiller (816 square inches) located in the lower left and the small vessel on the ground in front is a hopback that I haven't quite finished. And of course, its BrewTroller controlled. I did a quick test with 5.5 gallons; using the HLT element and the RIMS and was able to raise the water temp 56F in 10 minutes. You'll notice that for the HLT and MT I used the 2" sanke connector on the keg as my drain. A 2" tri-clover fits perfectly; and I don't have any dead space and don't have to worry about losing a siphon.

4800422102_d2a4219939_b.jpg

4799799889_f63a2b5811_b.jpg

4800432258_88307cd1ec_b.jpg

4800431634_fca03212bc_b.jpg

4799796845_a8d317173c_b.jpg

4799793643_497ded9164_b.jpg

4800425990_5639bfbbd4_b.jpg

4800427860_59ace662b9_b.jpg

photo19gz.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

More pictures

Wow, that looks great. I really like the hard plumbing w/ Swagelok fittings. And the finishing touch of a bottle opener proves you have thought of everything. Good luck on the inaugural brew session.

Cheers....:mug:

where did you get those RIMS? They look to be 4" or more diameter. And, I'm too lazy (druk) to read back, what are you using as a heating element.

where did you get those RIMS? They look to be 4" or more diameter. And, I'm too lazy (druk) to read back, what are you using as a heating element.

They are filter cartridges that Greenmonti welded fittings on to. The RIMS element is 3500w @ 220v.

Very nice! What kind of valve is that hanging under the MT?

All the valves are 3-piece Whitey valves. That specific one is a 3-way valve with one FNPT connection and two swagelok connections. It really simplifies my plumbing layout. It allows me to drain MT to RIMS and the on to the BK during sparge.

I know the old saying, if you have to ask, it is probably too much, but . .. . approximately how much do you have invested to date? Any chance you would share parts list and sources?

I'd say I have about $700 in parts. Most of the parts were salvaged and adapted for my purposes. I don't have a parts list, because I had an idea of what I wanted and designed it on the fly based on parts I had or could make. I did buy false bottoms from Jaybird, tri-clovers from brewershardware.com, and stuff from the Brewtroller store. I saved money where ever possible, for example I bought long tri-clover ferrules and soldered threaded connections or hose barbs on to them. I also made my own thermo wells from 1/4" ss tubing and soldered the end solid.

pickles; can you shed some light on the big heat sink you used?
This what I was talking about long ago vs single sinks to each SSR.
Thanks.

It came out some medical device. It's 2-1/4" x 9-1/4" x 11" and weighs about 10 lbs. I have no idea of its heat transfer rate but assumed it would be big enough for 8 SSRs. The mounting surface is 1/4" thick.

It came out some medical device. It's 2-1/4" x 9-1/4" x 11" and weighs about 10 lbs. I have no idea of its heat transfer rate but assumed it would be big enough for 8 SSRs. The mounting surface is 1/4" think.

Yup i'd say it's just barely big enough for the job, JK that things a super great find and perfect. I bet under full power the sink is still near the ambient air temp with the SSR's very happy. Again congrats on a super find and brewery build.

pickles; Just a quick question about your flow meter. Where did you buy that and how much was it? I'm still in the design\coding interface phase.... so hopefully soon I can start sourcing parts and building while its still to hot to brew outside. This is one hell of an awesome system you have here. Don't be surprised if inverted kegs start showing up on others systems very soon. Such a simple idea, but so F'n Brilliant!

pickles; Just a quick question about your flow meter. Where did you buy that and how much was it? I'm still in the design\coding interface phase.... so hopefully soon I can start sourcing parts and building while its still to hot to brew outside. This is one hell of an awesome system you have here. Don't be surprised if inverted kegs start showing up on others systems very soon. Such a simple idea, but so F'n Brilliant!

Just think how many "OH Chit!" brewers out there that already have their keg tops cut off, oops too late. Read, learn and make notes on ideas for the future build.

Thanks, I'm not the first to use inverted kegs though. I've seen some others implement it for at least the mashtun.

I bought a whole bunch of the flow meters used, but I know McMaster-Carr sells them new, #9701K12. I have no idea how to connect it to the BrewTroller. Eventually I'll find someone to help me get it working properly, but for now its just a visual indicator.

Just think how many "OH Chit!" brewers out there that already have their keg tops cut off, oops too late. Read, learn and make notes on ideas for the future build.

Count me as one. Though I have been planning an inverted keg system since before I saw this thread, pickles has executed it masterfully.

I only have eleven 15.5 and three 7.75 virgin kegs now, thinking it out before cutting them in the future. The Jack Daniels 15.5 keg will be a keeper just to look at, Jack made bier, WTF?

Thanks again guys, I never really saw this design as being that innovative. I wanted something simple to use, hard plumbed in ss, and be consistently accurate. What I'm impressed with is the BrewTroller! I'm using version 1.2 (which is no where near as sophisticated as 2.0 Beta) and it is controlling my elements with PID control, has timers and alarms for different steps, turns pumps on and off. I am blown away by what this thing can do and I'm just testing it with water right now. I can't wait to run a session in "AutoBrew"! I've also decided to replace some of the remaining threaded fittings on the keggles with tri-clovers to allow for easier cleaning when I need to break down the system. Right now I plan on CIP, but I've had to remove some components for repair and tweaking and it's like solving a puzzle in reverse when taking this thing apart. Not easy at all!

Linky linky for Brewtroller source? I'm just hitting dead links.

Thank you. I know Brewtroller was an open-architecture build, with lots of customization, but what is the basic, out-of-the box controller? Or do you have to build it too?

Never mind, I just found the 3.3 main board. Is this what you started with?

Brewtroller is based on a Sanguino board. They sell the Brewtroller board (soldered or as a kit), LCD, switches, pin connectors, relay boards and continue to upgrade the software and make new hardware as users as for improvements or make their own. If an improvement by a user has merit for mass production Matt and Jeremiah make it available for the masses for the most part. BrewTroller Store

No, I have a 3.1 board, that one is the newest iteration. Only minimal changes between the two.

Back