New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > G-System (Grundy) Dis-assembly Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Mischief_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default G-System (Grundy) Dis-assembly Video

I've been struggling to find a good tutorial/explanation of how to dis-assemble a G-system (Bass/Anchorsteam) 50L keg (also called a Grundy). One thread on here explains it pretty well, but I figured I'd post my recent YouTube find for anyone searching on how to work this one.

Enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Update:

Apparently there are two kinds of G-system kegs out there. The one I have has a slotted collar that the neck screws into. This collar has some indents that prevent the keg from being fully disassembled. The neck moves slightly in the same fashion as the video (where the guy makes it look easy unscrewing it), but locks up agains the divots/indents.

I've given up at this point and will be cutting it off soon (and looking for a nearby friend who can weld stainless) unless somebody has some insight that both the Internet and 3 hours of me fooling with the thing couldn't come up with...

My plan is to be able to screw a tall pipe (don't ask) into the existing threaded opening. I'm going to have to weld something in place to do this since the plan to use the original threads seems bust...

Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you're looking to keep the collar and threads, I'd say try drilling / cutting out the part that you don't want. It'll take a lot of time with a dremel but you should be able to cut out enough of the parts you don't want that you can get the stem out.

Just make sure to keep venting that bad boy until you get a hole in it...

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
5gal American Pale Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Scottish Wee Heavy
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Carboy 1: Saison

Quick Reply