Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > FuzzeWuzze's Coffin Keezer + Cabinet storage Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default FuzzeWuzze's Coffin Keezer with Cabinet storage Build

So, ive had the freezer for a year, had the taps for a year...and finally getting around to making the coffin keezer. Im glad that i waited though as i have found a lot of ideas that i wouldnt have initially implemented.

The end result is based on someone who posted their work on Reddit and it fits exactly what we need because we dont have enough cabinet space for all of our pint/margarita/wine glasses, or for our growing wine collection and of course liquor. The end goal is 5 taps, 4 Beer taps off my 5 gallon kegs, and 1 soda water tap off a 2.5 gallon keg i can cram in on the hump for use with sodastream flavorings for cola/tonic/etc.

*NOTE* THIS IS NOT MINE, THIS IS MY TARGET!

Here is the entire Imgur album of his build
http://imgur.com/a/MCI0j#0

This is the basic premise im using for the end, with a few modifications, first we will be mirroring the left and right side and the front left/right(wine holders on both sides rather than an area for glasses, the reason for this was to keep the front cleaner and more symmetrical looking. In his build he used the right side for CO2 tank storage, but my CO2 tank fits snuggly inside my keezer and the dual regulator takes up so much space we'd lose the entire right side basically. And since the end goal of this is more storage + beer, im just keeping it in the freezer even if it does make things super crammed and untidy with hoses everywhere.

So we'll have wine holding on either side of the front as well, and the reasoning for this was I need to account for having cats, and kids sometime soon...so this open design has to go or else there'd be broken glass everywhere...so i need to mount two cabinet doors on front and one on each side. I already did a basic cost of these and two basic shaker oak doors with hinge slots cut is about ~40 each from a local cabinet shop. We may decide to go with glass center cabinet doors, which for whatever reason cost an arm and a leg...maybe someone with cabinet experience can explain to me why a full door is 40 but one that is essentially empty in the middle is 60-70 and doesnt even include the glass which im guessing is another 20 bucks at least...

This is my diary of my (hopefully) not so slow build, hopefully it comes out! The hope is to take about a month to complete everything, but it may take a bit longer.

Day 1: Built the basic frame stand, took me a few hours to cut all and screw all the wood together, lesson for the day? Go buy knee pads for future days, being on my knee's for 2-3 hours on the concrete slab sucked. It could have definately been put together faster by a professional im sure, but since the base is so damn important to the rest of the measurements lining up i was super anal about getting everything as close as possible and so far it seems to have worked...

The plan is to have 8" deep cabinets on either side and 8" on the front. It appears the general overall dimensions of the final cabinet will be somewhere around 58" long, 32" deep and the countertop should be at around 3'. Which im guessing will put the taps at around 3.5'? No idea how tall typical coffins are....

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That is amazing. Most of the coffin keezers don't do anything for me. Cool, a wood box with taps, heh. This is fantastic.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
That is amazing. Most of the coffin keezers don't do anything for me. Cool, a wood box with taps, heh. This is fantastic.
I agree, i had been looking at keezers and really not having any wood working skills or knowledge was more or less destined to just building a standard coffin then finding some way to build a small cabinet to stick near it for our glasses...when i saw this i bookmarked it immediately, copied/downloaded the entire Imgur album(which i just added to the main post) incase it ever disappears..it fits what we need exactly! And he was kind enough to document in photos the general build process well enough i feel confident i can recreate it....and that is the general goal of this post as well, to hopefully give step by step instructions of whatever i end up with in hopes it helps someone else later...

Unfortunately he didnt have a lot to share in the reddit post as it seemed he kind of winged it as he went along with the help of a professional woodworking friend for things he messed up...

My largest concern i need to figure out at this point is the lid...i plan on like him just putting some wood flooring or similar on the lid(not granite or tiles like some others)...so i think my standard hinges should be able to handle it...i cant decide if i should design in a small 25ish lb gas strut to assist or just do as he and many others do and cram a stick between the frame and lid to keep it open.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

This keezer is amazing. Couple of questions:

How hard is it to get your kegs in there! Looks like quite a reach!
Do you have fans set up to blow cold are up in the tower?

I may be able to convince swimbo to let me keep taps in the house if I build something like this!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The one posted is only my "End goal" from someone elses keezer, not mine..i wish!

I intend to mount both fans in the coffin box to blow air around, as the insides of mine with 5 kegs + CO2 is packed.

Getting kegs in and out might prove to be a pain, but we'll see.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
axmdr40
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I understand this isn't yours...but that hasn't stopped the chubbie I just got...That's some damn fine craftsmanship

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
I understand this isn't yours...but that hasn't stopped the chubbie I just got...That's some damn fine craftsmanship
What amazed me was how well the "crappy" generic construction plywood that has no laminate on it looks with the stain...

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #8
rdneckbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
What amazed me was how well the "crappy" generic construction plywood that has no laminate on it looks with the stain...
I was thinking the same thing. This is awesome though. I have been looking for some ideas for my keezer and I think that this is it. Please keep us posted!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Day 2: The day where everything goes wrong

First problem, i realized that i shouldnt have put the front crossbeam on, because now it was so close to the other 2x4 that i couldnt get my drill in to screw in the uprights...no biggie ill just pull off the cross beam and screw it in again no harm no foul. Turns out yesterday i was an idiot and predrilled and screwed right through a knot in the 2x4....also turns out that made it impossible to get the screw back out. I ended up having to go back to HDepot and buy an extraction kit to get it out as it was stripped beyond repair and after an hour of fighting it i just spent the $8 on an extraction kit and on some new drill bits(info below).

Second problem, so that hole was open but i wanted to put in another fresh screw next to it to make sure the beam stayed upright and snug. Put drill bit in, drill hole...then the drill bit starts spinning in the drill...horrible design by Ryobi making the drill bits smooth instead of hex shaped. I wiggled the drill bit around VERY tiny amount, and the bit snaps off! At this point im laughing, but whatever half a drill bit embedded in the base isnt going to ruin anything....ended up buying the new drill bits with a proper hex shape on the base for the drill to grip.

All in all though it call came together, after dry fitting the freezer it appears that one side is MINORLY undercut and not as flush with the lid as the other side...maybe 1/8th an inch, but im not worried about it..i dont think it will be a problem when it comes time to lay down the lid since it will be glued to the freezer anyways...but if it is when i get to that point ill glue some small wood shims on the uprights.

Also realized i shouldnt be screwing my castor wheels in, so ill need to get some bolts tommorrow..its getting a bit unwieldy to move around already sliding it on the floor so i'd like to get it up on the wheels ASAP. I had already bought 2 locking 3" wheels for the rear and 2 standard 3" wheels for the front from HDepot earlier last week.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Day 3: We are now mobile, got a bunch of 1/4 inch bolts and got everything drilled and the wheels bolted on. Also spent about an hour and a half at HDepot staring at wood and figuring things out. Solid oak is very expensive, but they dont sell 1x8 sheets of oak plywood, so need to decide if im going to rip my own off a 4x8 sheet or just go with cheaper wood for all of the interior visible cabinet framing. Im leaning towards just cheaper wood like the original design using Common Lumber 1x8's, when their stained a dark walnut and inside of a cabinet with doors who really cares right?

I'd rather go a bit cheaper on the interior wood so that the outside can be the nicer 3/4 inch Oak plywood ill require to be able to attach cabinet doors properly and not break the bank. That alone will require two 4x8 sheets and be about $100... The 1x8 Oak boards were 31 dollars each and i'd need 3 just to frame the interior of the cabinets! I think ill pass.

I decided to put the two locking casters on the back wheels, im not 100% sure this was the right choice but i think it is. The front will have a shroud around the bottom nearly to the floor so i dont think i can realistically lock them...atleast from the back i can hope to reach around the backside and lock them and slide the entire thing back in inch or so against the wall with the wheels locked....

Any experience on that?

Quick Reply